CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bikes running HOT help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikes running HOT help!!

So heres my problem.. hope somone can help me.

My bike runs in the low temp range when I am riding it.. ( the way it should be and the way i like it ) but when I come too a stop IE. a stop light or a stop sign and I sit for say 30 to 60 seconds.. my bike runshotter say toothe upper 3/4 temp mark. The fan does come on im just concerned...

Is my bike sick?? what sould I check..? what should I do??

My bike is running fine, its just the tempgauge that rises while im at stop lights/in stop/go traffic..

heres what I have done and checked. just replaced spark plugs/wires.
I checked my oil and it is clean, not milky..

what kind of coolent should I use? I might do a coolent flush..? im just confused on what I should do / try.. im really low on money any help??

Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Default RE: Bikes running HOT help!!

i wouldnt worry about it till its in the red.. my bike did the same thing with the 600 engine in it with a fan... now i have the 900 engine in it and no fan... you will be fine, i would get some water wetter coolant if you want it a little cooler..

you could check the thermostat too.. put it in boiling water and see where its opening..

vote for ROTM too!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:34 AM

In warmer weather minwe always gets a bit hotter on the temp guage when I am going unger 20.. the fan keeps it from getting to hot and moving pushed alot of air thru the radiator.. I wouldnt really worry about it untill you are near or in the red...

Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks guys, you put my mind at ease

Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM

After owning both other brands of sport bike, (92 ZX-6 and a 92 FZR600)

and a coupla' air cooled standards, (Kawi KSR 650, Yamaha 1000),

I too was surprised at how warm the CBR F2 got just by being in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes or so.

My bike also has reached the 3/4 range as well...and the fan kicked on once I pulled in the garage one day and it was 80 F outside.

But I am told it's just normal.

I'll be watching my temp gauge this summer though, (100+ F in the summer here)...as should you.

If it gets in the red zone, pull over and shut it off...let cool completely...

Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 PM

+1,also runs 3/4 hot.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:46 PM

Check your coolant level. With the bike sitting level, check the coolant level on the clutch side of the motor. You'll see the off-white colored reservoir with a black rubber cap on it. The engine should be at operating temperature, and the coolant level should be between the "Low" and "High" lines on the reservoir bottle.
If your level is too low, here's how to add coolant:
1. Only use coolant that is approved for motorcycle radiators... make sure it is pre-mixed. I use Honda's pre-mixed coolant that comes in the blue bottle.
2. With the bike off, remove the right rear tail faring.
3. Remove the black rubber cap from the coolant reservoir bottle. NEVER remove the radiator cap from a hot bike!!!
4. Make sure the bike is level, and pour coolant into the bottle up to the upper line.
5. Replace the black rubber cap on the bottle.
6. Start the bike and let it run for a few minutes (it should already be at operating temp)
7. Shut the bike off, and re-check the coolant level as described above.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 until coolant level is acceptable.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 PM

BTW, my bike runs at 3/4 in stop-and-go traffic. I think it's normal. But, I have only heard my fan come on one time. It kinda worries me... any ideas on how to check the actual function of the fan? I checked the fuse and it's good, so where should I go from here?
It's been nice weather here lately, but not too hot so the fan hasn't been needed. In the heat of summer though...

Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 AM

I disagree with the running hot in stop and go traffic as being normal at least from my experience in low elevation stop and go traffic when temps were in the 90's or higher and this was foronly for a few blocks in Oroville, CA. I agree though that it does throw alot of heat off by your legs. Now, this last year it has been running hot in cool spring temps, plus, last Fall after I turned off of the paved road out of town to my neighborhood onto the short dirt road we live on, the fan kicked on and it has never done that before even in the summer when temps were in the 90's. Plus, this winter I took the radiator out and flushed it out and it looked great, put it back in and with the motor sitting there warming up the temp gauge went past the half way mark on its way to "it never got this hot before" territory. I asked another mechanic who has worked on Honda's and Yamaha's and he thinks there might be something clogged up in the head/heads and will check it out for me since some shops won't touch a older machine. He also said the carb work I had done would not affect the temperature. I just hope he can find out why it runs way warmer then it ever has. He suggested pulling the new thermostat out and try running without it and see what happens.

I need to figure this out, I have an invite from a much younger blond to go for a ride this springand she has a Sportster. An old guy likeme can't pass that up. It is about a three hour drive to where she lives so I need my machine running up to par. Some of my equipment has to be ready for a challenge.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Is it bad to run regular antifreeze in my bike?

Quick Reply: Bikes running HOT help!!