CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bike wont start. Flooded? Cant get it to work

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly think its a combination of issue that makes it so hard to figure out. I guess I will see tomorrow.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM

dont be so naive as to think its not your carbs just because it worked fine before...
take your carbs off.. clean them properly... if you need to know how to do so see the stickied thread called carb cleaning 101.

just do it... i can do this in under 5 minutes.. i can change plugs on a f2 in 2 minutes. the more you do these things the less amt of time it will take.

You definitely flooded your engine to hell and fowled your plugs...
buy new plugs.
clean and examine your carbs thoroughly.

your petcock should be fine. not a very common problem area, honestly.
although it does not hurt to look.

If

Last edited by shardoflard; 07-20-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Ok. Making progress.

I opened the carbs up today. They were very clean. but i still cleaned them up. Put everything back together.

Started cranking the bike with out choke at first and then I started giving it a little choke while cranking.

It started. But was running very, very weak. and died after about 15 seconds.

While i was cranking it before it started it was making this popping sound like its about to start.

Then after it died it no longer made that sound and i cranked it one more time and then it would not crank anymore. It would just make a click.

My petcock is still broken but I am almost sure that it has been broken for a long time.

Im thinking that at this time its just a battery being to weak.

I will plug it in for 10 hours at 1Amp and try again tomorrow.

What do you guys think.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

sounds like you still need to go buy new plugs...

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
SJN

Fix your petcock.

Im guessing the diagraph in the petcock is broken, and maybe fuel is running through the vacume tube into the first cylinder...and out the exhaust as you see ?

Maybe the bike is running on this fuel alone when it ocasionaly starts.
Are you sure there is fuel in all the carbs ?

Did you notice any fuel in the vacume line at all when you had it off?

My petcock digraph had a tear in it on the air side, and would work some times.....and not letting fuel into my carbs. The bike also made a poping sound as it was running dry of fuel. Putting on the choke while it was dying, made it run a tad longer, but then died after that.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM

I opened the petcock and it looked perfect. The only problem is that it always supply's fuel to the carbs. Like the vacuum does not do anything. And there definitely is no gas in the vacuum line.

The spark plugs are new. Just bought them two days ago.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:55 PM

First off use your spark plugs as a clue as to what is going on... When the bike doesn't start after a while, pull the plug and check to see its color. Is it soaking wet, brown, tan or white?

When you cleaned your carbs, are you SURE that the float needle valves were moving all nice and sexy like?

Popping noise during starting? Are you 100% sure that you put your plug wires back in the correct order?

There is not really much that can be wrong with your bike. Clean carbs + spark + compression + fuel/air = run.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Popping sound might not be the best description for it. You know the difference when the bike cranks with a spark and with out.

By popping sound i meant the sound you hear when there is an actual detonation in the cylinders.

The fact that it started today makes me feel positive about the whole thing. I just want it to run like it used to on saturday.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM

yeah im thinking you didnt clean your carbs correctly...
like i said b4 theres a nice write up on how to clean your carbs on the forums... one of the first threads here written by disserved... and your plug wires will say which cylinder they belong to...make sure you have them all in the appropriate cylinders.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM

I am loosing hope guys. I really thought I could get it going today after a successful 15 second rough run yesterday.

Got nowhere. It dint even sound like its about to start. Im thinking plugs are wet again.

Did not have time to take them out and will not for next few days. Thats why I was hoping that it will start today.

I guess I will do EVERYTHING once again. Pull the plugs and carburetors. Clean the carbs let the engine and spark plugs dry out and try again.

Im getting very frustrated with this.

Sorry for venting.

Quick Reply: Bike wont start. Flooded? Cant get it to work