CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bike went down

Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike went down

I just bought my first bike not even two months ago, it's a 93 f2. It had one-one inch scratch on it, that's it. I just got it back from the shop where I had my carbs gone through fully. Let my bro drive it and he dumped it goin about 15-20mph about 3 hours ago... The bike had radiator fluid all over the side of the bike and all over the road... I know I didn't have very much if any in the radiator over flow tank, so Idk how that could have happened. I don't think it's leaking anything now. The right side is all scratched up even the exhaust is dented...which sux cuz it's a yoshimura aftermarket...I'm going to need the whole right side fixed except for the gas tank and the rear fairing (underneath the seat), probably even new plastics. It's pretty marked up, I don't think the plastic could be sanded and repaired... The foot brake is WAY bent.

This leads me to my first question, should I take the bike in to have it gone through to make sure everything is working alright and straight and to have the foot brake be replaced? Idk if I feel comfortable riding it not knowing if something is messed up or not.

second question is: Where is a good place to get new plastics for my bike (93 f2 600). I checked out Fast Fairings.com, but being so new to bikes I have no idea what companies to do business with or not.

Any help is appreciated... This came at the worst time because I took off a week from work to do some fun things one of which was riding bike...

Old 05-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, I hope your brother is ok.
Take a breath, step back, breath..
If you are leaking radiator fluid, don't start it. Yeah, if your skill level at wrenching isn't enough to do a proper inspection, I would have it looked over.

I have seen one nice trick, where just rotating the can will hide the scars, on the exhaust.

Check on ebay, foot levers are pretty common and cheap.

As far as the fairings, yes you will have to re-paint, BUT, Bondo is your friend.
skim the scars with it and build it a little above the lines. Then sand it down to the mark.

Don't worry about tiny pin-holes, that is the job for your other buddy, glazing compound.
Apply with a plastic scraper and then use 600-800 grit to smooth in all the flaws. a couple of prime coats, wet sand the last and you'll be set.

Good luck in it. Ern

Old 05-07-2011, 10:26 PM

yea, he's okay. He wasn't wearing any gear, even though I brought out a helmet for him to wear. He's older than me, usually the younger guy doesn't really "know anything." I guess I didn't make him wear one, I just thought he was going to go up and down the street a couple times which is a culdesack which has hardly any traffic, but he went about 1/2 mile away and so I drove it back only going 5 mph just in case something would happen. He just got scraped up on the knee and elbow.

I didn't realize that I could apply bondo...Not thinkin straight right now... I'll have a body shop guy come over and take a look at it also. Hopefully I can do that, that would save a ton of money!

How hard is it to install a foot pedal brake for the rear? I didn't really inspect it too much...

Thanks for the advice..

Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Blue book value makes fixing a wrecked F2 a questionable proposition.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do most of the work yourself, it's still worth it IMO. It just takes patience.
And, if the bike checks out mechanically sound, just strip it down to naked. Work on the panels and you can still get some saddle-time.

The brake lever is just a bolt-on, no big deal there.

Good luck! Ern

Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM

I would never sell this bike... I'm not really one to sell my stuff...I try and take good care of all my vehicles and put money into them that I know I would never get back, but I do it cuz I just love good looking cars and toys that it's worth it to me and have no intention of selling. That's just who I am.

I will prob try and bondo my panels as long as they aren't cracked or nothing, I haven't taken too good of look at everything yet...I have some experience with bondo as I fixed up an old chevy c10 that I own, so I have some familiarity to that.

Does anyone know where I could get decals to put on the bike? My personal taste is getting it back to the original look. So I will need all the stickers that would go on the right side of the bike.

As far as brake lever, I might just have a shop put it in since I'm planning on taking my bike in to get it checked over to make sure everything is good to go. I just want a sense of security when I'm riding so I won't be thinking "what if" and other distractions that would keep me from riding safe.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 PM

NEVER let anyone ride your bike (unless they own a nicer bike, that you wouldn't mind trading for). I would have F*$king murdered my sibling/friend for dumping my bike!!

footpeg and rear brake lever are SUPER easy to swap... and cheap on ebay or the local bike wrecker.

hopefully you can rotate the can.... drill out the rivets holding it together... rotate and re-rivet (you may have to drill out and re-rivet the yoshi marker plate and that will leave holes on the other side where it used to be... fill those holes with a couple more rivets.

you can also find fairings on ebay or do the bondo/sand/repaint thing as stated above.

It is also possible that the radiator is cracked/bent/broken in some way from the fall... take it off (super easy only 4 or 5 bolts and a few hose clamps) and take it to a radiator place and have it pressure tested (low pressure)... if it is leaking a tiny bit they can probably fix it. If severely leaking.... back to ebay/bike wrecker.

I hope your bro is paying for all this and helping you do any work (and supplying lots of beer)... if not get him some life insurance and let him go out on the bike again

Last edited by Bently600; 05-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Well, today I brought the bike in to get the frame checked over and to fix the brake lever. I went to order decals for the right side of the bike and half of them are discontinued! Now what should I do!? I don't really wanna get a custom paint job, since this bike was in such good condition. I had a body shop guy come over to share his ideas on it and he said the same thing, that he wouldn't really wanna paint the whole bike since it's in such good condition...

So where would I go to get decals for this bike?? I've called a couple different custom decals shops and they said it would cost a lot more money to custom make them then by going to the dealer and buying them which originally would have cost $650 for just the right side decals! I told them that figure and they both said they couldn't do it for that. But now that the dealers don't have them what should I do? I'll try and post a pic of a bike that looks just like mine. I don't have any pics of MY bike on my comp...

Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Again, this isn't MY bike, but it's the paint scheme that I have and the decals I need. The ones I need are on the right side of the bike -the whole fron right fairing that has the "CBR" on with "HONDA," the maintenance cover decals, and the black decal that is on the panel where the fuse cover and turn signal is, I also need the decal that goes on the front of the bike that's on the same panel with the fuse cover, it's a red and black decal with "HONDA" written in it.

Any suggestions on what I should do, where I should go anything would be very well appreciated...Again, I don't really wanna change the paint scheme of this bike, I love original looking bikes.

Thanks for all the help.

Attached Thumbnails Bike went down-user36509_pic6313_1259078826-1-.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM

All i can say is EBAY EBAY EBAY. I dumped my f2 HARD about a month ago @ 45 mph. It bent my righthandle bar end, created a leak in my radiator, and of course screwed all the right side fairings. Idk where your from, but they have a sort of moto "pull-a-part" here in Washington called Bent Bike, and they happened to have a set of aftermarket fairings for 300 which is a lot better then 550 online. Check out the phone book for something like that... I was also able to saughter my radiator where it was leaking, and buy new ends to the handlebars. Im riding on the busted fairings right now and yet to rattle can the other set i have. In your case I would bondo and sticker it though

Search this Thread