CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Big problem with the carb boots and valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem with the carb boots and valves

Okay so I have identified what I believe the problem to be two things my petcock diaphragm is a bad and gas comes out of the nipple pervious owner clogged the nipple with the fuel line attach to the gas tank.. Somehow. Second issues my carbs boots started falling apart I ask my mechanic if that was a issue he said no so I continued to fix my gas ear I ask on the forum here weeks ago I fixed it put the carbs securely on tried to start it. It back fired and probly messed with the boots even more I took the carbs of and see rubber from the boots down in my valves.. So I'm thinking one either the boot is not sealed cause it's missing a chunk and the air ratio is way to much suckling it direct from the boot and valve.. And the boot alone would fix it and blow the rubber out I'm hoping cause no further damage. Or did the rubber from the boot melt to the valve if is rubber as well? What am I getting myself into cost wise if a shop needs to do the valve work I'm a student and I don't have funds like that so I'm trying to pin point the issues if I can tackle it great of not i suppose I could borrow to be riding again here but I'd need a idea on costs.
Thank you guys for any info or ideas, personal experience anything you can maybe shed light on would be great as I'm no seasoned mechanic and I've just started learning
Sorry for a big paragraph rant

Edit please move this to the tech I apologize as that is were I was trying to post

Last edited by Arn1016; 03-30-2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Please move this to tech my apologize for forgetting
Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. If the petcock leaks, you can rebuild it or replace it. The rebuild kits are a bit more expensive than a used petcock, but will last longer.
600 f2 petcock | eBay
2. If your carb boots are falling apart and your mechanic said its ok, he's an idiot. I haven;t heard of boot material getting down to the valves before but I guess it could happen. Are you sure its not just dirt? Replace the boots.
Honda CBR600 F2 CBR600F2 Carb Holders Intake Manifold Boots | eBay

Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I cleaned the carbs and the boots were beyond bad the were split and cracked and in multiple spots on each boot manifold there was rubber from the boot I used a long needle nose carefully and got all the rubber out. I'm going to rub a little sea foam to clean out the valves I found used ones I can pick up tomorrow but I did order new one Friday so I may just wait till mid week. I did notice valve 2 seemed lower then all the rest I'm unsure if this is normal or not. I'm sure the boots were the issue as it would mix to much air with the fuel directly from the carb boot manifold.. But werid thing is it did start on choke but idle rough super rough then die out in a second. Have a good feeling about the boots. Also found a repair kit on ebay for the petcock for 32 bucks

Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Welcome Crew

If your boots were in that bad of shape, that could account for your rough idle. Bad vacuum leaks. Valves are also going to look a little different position wise due to different position of the cams. Good luck, hope the boots solve most your issues

Old 03-31-2013, 02:44 PM

I'm feeling confident about the boot my bike ran fine with the gas leak was going on so I doubt anything catastrophic happened by pulling carbs on and off.. but I noticed first time the carbs were of the boots were ripped . was told it didn't matter, should of listening to my instincts. cause something still did happen the boots ripped worse from the on and off of carbs to fix the leak. But the good news is I have the boots ordered and the petcock repair kit ordered as well. that should do it

Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 PM

Here is a pic of just one of the big slit down my carb boot there are multiple on each boot. Can't wait for the boots to come in the mail. I'm thinking of starting a journal of my work

Last edited by Arn1016; 03-31-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 PM
June 2013 ROTM

If the mechanic said thats fine, he's an idiot. Plain and simple.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 AM

I should say he was my mechanic it's sad I know more with my first bike and only having it a few months. Can't wait for them to arrive in the mail I'm sure that will do it and stop back fires I can't see anything catastrophic happening to my motor after just fixing a gas leak that's when this happened carbs in and off gas touching the boots every time dried them out and cracked even worse and now the back fires I will keep u up to date

Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM

She runs! It was really cold and by the time I was ready to start her it was late so I ran her for a few mins only on choke she dies without it is only 15 degrees here in the day so I'll try tomorrow should be 40s

Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Welcome Crew

Congrats. Being that cold she will need some choke. Let us know what happens when it warms up.

Quick Reply: Big problem with the carb boots and valves