CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

best oil for a high mileage f2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=tomekzski;1268767]and also, since i am the third owner. would it be a good idea to use synthetic oil? the bike is jetted to stage 3 with a power commander and an exhaust (36k miles)

i have always run amsoil 10w-40...your F2 has a power commander??

Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by squale147
...your F2 has a power commander??
He must mean a V&H Power Pak, or maybe one of the Dyna ICM units - there were never any Power Commanders for the F2, as those units are only made for changing FI mapping... it's likely the V&H Power Pak.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:09 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
He must mean a V&H Power Pak, or maybe one of the Dyna ICM units - there were never any Power Commanders for the F2, as those units are only made for changing FI mapping... it's likely the V&H Power Pak.
thats what i was thinking..

Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes you are right, v and hines power pak, whats the difference? thought power commanders and power paks are the same thing

Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tomekzski
yes you are right, v and hines power pak, whats the difference? thought power commanders and power paks are the same thing
Power Commanders modify the fuel mapping for fuel injected bikes, by connecting to the ECU - these bikes have carbs, and don't have an ECU at all, but rather an ICM (ignition control module)... the Power Pak adjusts the rev limiter, and ignition timing, but your fueling, is of course only modified by carb setting changes.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 PM

Interesting...so would that be a reason why it doesnt rev up past 7k rpms in neutral? also when im in first gear i try to get it to at least 8k rpms, it bogs down from about 6-8k...what can be the reason of that?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Interesting...so would that be a reason why it doesnt rev up past 7k rpms in neutral? also when im in first gear i try to get it to at least 8k rpms, it bogs down from about 6-8k...what can be the reason of that?
Well, it could be, if it is malfunctioning, but it could also be fueling issues, due to blocked orifices/passages in the carbs, or improper settings... heck, it could be things are too rich, also.
The best way to eliminate the V&H unit from the equation, is simply to eliminate it from the equation , meaning, remove it, and see if the bike runs good without it.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 PM

lol, well, if i remove it, is there another unit i have to put in place of that?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM

lol, well, if i remove it, is there another unit i have to put in place of that?
The Power Pak replaces the OEM ICM, so you would need to plug that in, in the Power Pak's place - by any chance did the bike come with the original ICM as well, when you bought it?

Another thing I remember about these units, is that they didn't last too long. Now bad news travels faster than good, so it's possible there are many out there, including yours, that are still functioning fine, but I have heard a lot of stories about these units failing, on several different make/model of bikes.
It's very possible that if yours is malfunctioning, it could be muddying up the works, but as mentioned before, you could just have carb issues, or heck, even something else going on... I would be leaning toward fueling or ICM issues.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Ok
Thanks for that info...I mean the bike runs and everything nicely when its warmed up i believe. I just changed the oil, i put too much sea foam in it so it is still sitting away from my home until further notice. I am going to get the bike home and run the sea foam. Hopefully that will help out the problems. If not I will get the carbs off again and clean them out. Well see what happens after that. Hopefully I can find a new ICM that is stock. My buddy just picked up two cbrs for 600 dollars lol. one running and one not. with lots of aftermarket track parts. so ill go through his box of stuff and see if i can find something, or trade him :P thanks for the info man. But other than that, the bike ran alot better with the new valvoline 10w40 oil. was the cheapest. didnt want to put anything new in there cuz im not sure how long the bike will last at the moment. I will make a 2 hour trip to wisconsin. If it get there, I will change the oil at 1000 miles to something better.

Quick Reply: best oil for a high mileage f2?