CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bad gas after 3 months?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squale147
yes...gas went bad then to but atleast it took a few years...now its it starts in a few months...
Very interesting stuff! Didn't know a lot of that. A full tank with additive, sitting in a garage for 3 months. Should be alright. We did get hit hard in Omaha! It was actually nice, since last winter was so warm. Streets were actually clear the next evening, since it wasn't bitterly cold. Of course the city was preparing well in advance.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outsider
Ha, nice! I think i've heard the regular stuff is better...
Yes, without a doubt... save the money , those oil fat-cats are fat enough! (this is a petroleum company executive, pointing to his bank statement!)

Wanted to start it and let it run yesterday, wouldn't cause of cold. Still learning the trick. A little throttle usually works, but need to practice so it doesn't rev high on cold engine. I knew I flooded the engine when it backfired. Like a gunshot, boom!
Is your choke circuit not functioning properly? Did you happen to check the choke cable's "throw", while you had the tank and airbox off?

But as for the "gummy stuff", not too worried. I can take care of that with additive.
You might already use it, but Seafoam, in my opinion, is the best stuff out there.

What I don't want is to suck up garbage from the tank. That, I can't handle.
I'm not sure if your tank has rust/corrosion issues, but for a nice clean tank, the petcock screen should keep you safe enough... is your screen in good shape?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If its going to sit, use fuel stabilizer, not fuel cleaning additives. Additives contain chemicals that can harm parts. The alcohol and other stuff in it will absorb more moisture and make things worse. Only use them if your going to burn through that tank of gas fairly soon.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
If its going to sit, use fuel stabilizer, not fuel cleaning additives. Additives contain chemicals that can harm parts. The alcohol and other stuff in it will absorb more moisture and make things worse. Only use them if your going to burn through that tank of gas fairly soon.
True that... Seafoam for cleanin' things up...Sta-bil for storing, or just not running for a while... I know there's other brands, but those are my faves.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Yes, without a doubt... save the money , those oil fat-cats are fat enough! (this is a petroleum company executive, pointing to his bank statement!)

Is your choke circuit not functioning properly? Did you happen to check the choke cable's "throw", while you had the tank and airbox off?

You might already use it, but Seafoam, in my opinion, is the best stuff out there.

I'm not sure if your tank has rust/corrosion issues, but for a nice clean tank, the petcock screen should keep you safe enough... is your screen in good shape?
Not sure if the choke cable throw is having issues. As far as I know it works fine. The mechanic loosened something so it moves up and down with less tension now. Was hard to move before. I'm sure he would have addressed it if he saw an issue. But maybe not. The mechanic did all the work. I've heard good things about seafoam. Used a full bottle of that before I finally had the carbs clean. Didn't make any difference. Carbs sucked up something from tank, I'm assuming. Ran it on reserve mistakenly for about a week, when I didn't know the differnce. Clogged jets up thoroughly. It's good now. Carbs are fussy. It will start in the cold (it's right about freezing here). Full/almost full choke, without giving any throttle. Runs for a few seconds fine, then dies. Becomes increasingly harder to start afterwards (Fuel in on position whole time). Eventually floods engine. If we could just get something around 50 degrees here, I'd be happy. Damn. The mechanic did do a quick look in the tank with flashlight and instantly thought it looked pristine. Even the area around the opening of the tank was extremely clean to his surprise, so he said draining the tank/checking fuel screen wasn't necessary. So I went with it...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM

Damn, now you got me worried Maybe i'll siphon the gas out and replace with regular if I can't start and run the engine in the next week. What kind of harm are we talking about?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM

This is the stuff I got sitting in the tank right now. Should be O.K.??
GUMOUT® - Fuel Injector Cleaner

Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is great stuff..
AMSOIL Quickshot®

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seafoam is fine as a stabilizer. It may not be as good as Sta-bil for super long lengths. But for months, not years, I wouldn't even begin to worry.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 PM

Just got through siphoning out most of the old fuel. Oh boy. The tube had a nice curve at the end, so I had to keep re-siphoning. Nice fume high. Grabbed the new gas can went to the station to get some good old 87 octane.

Quick Reply: Bad gas after 3 months?