CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Another paint thread, opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another paint thread, opinions needed.

Hey guys, it's getting nearer to spray time and I'd like some input.

This is a rough sketch I've slapped together on MSPaint on what I'm thinking about laying down on the F2.

The swingarm and wheelswill be powder coated, not painted, and the entire exhaust system is being ceramic coated to resemble polished aluminum.

Does anybody know if it's possibly to powder coat the fork legs? -If so, what kind of preparation needs to be done?

Multiple votes are allowed, please give lots of input, all ideas are welcome and the good ones will be considered; credit will be given where credit is due!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another paint thread, opinions needed.

I really like the red on the lower parts and black on the higher parts. I'm thinking of doing something very opposite (red high, black down low). I personally would do both wheels, the swingarm, fender and fork legs in red along with the red stripe on the lowers and the red wings on the tank (no perversion intended). I'm not dissin the race replicas out there but for my money they look too busy with all those stickers and such. To each their own. A bike is like a woman, "As long as she's beautiful in the eyes of her man, that's ALL that counts."

Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 AM

It is possible to powder coat the fork legs, I would imagine you would have to tear the forks apart so you just have the legs....and then make sure you seal all the opening so you dont have the dust all crapped up in there...and i think they usually sand blast or do the prep at the powdercoating place...but if not you have to strip or sandblast because it has to be bare metal for the "powder" to bake on properly. As for the bike...what i would do the red on the bottom with the black honda..that looks sharp..as well as the wings, but if i were you i wouldnt do red wheels with a red swing arm and red fork legs..i think thatd look like to many big chunks of red on a black bike...if i were you i would do either the swing arm and legs black...with the wheels red with black wheel tape on the lip, or do red legs and arm...and black wheels with red tape....(i think this would look best) as for the seat cowl...id do black with maybe a small decal on either side with red.....and then i would definatly do small red things here and there...such as brake levers...bar ends...EXPOSED BOLTS...this doesnt seem like much but i think it really makes a bike stand out. Also what you may consider doing is polishing the legs and swing arm...this is what im doing on my bike...but then i think to look proper youd have to accent that...Thats the main thing id worry about in the paint scheme is the accents because when the whole bike flows together it looks awesome...my 2 cents.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 AM

I am a traditionalist. That meaning all 1 color. I laid my bike down in June before I left for the desert. I am almost to the point of spray as well but I am going with a single color w/ 1 decal. I am leaving the wheels alone because they are black and painting it chrome yellow. I live by the acronym KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Best of luck hoped this helped.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM

I am in a similar situation as you, i am painting my F2 in black and I am going with a silver set of 600RR stickers for the tank, lower fairing and front fairing and putting on matching silver rim stripes! I think the red is a little to overpowering for my taste but as tazshido stated your bike is like your woman! I like the clean look, maybe take off the red on the lowering fairing and just use your wheels and accent pieces may not be so "bright" or "overpowering" Just a thought! Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Location: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)

Hot pink with Neon Green flames [&:]. Really though, I think the racing stickers, like brand names, should be left out because it distracts you from theactual body andF2s are known for their beautiful curves. Black also takes away from the curves but if you add gloss it gives a nice shine. You could even put red flakes I think to the black to give it a nice look. Just my thoughts, hope I helped.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Registered Users

as someone who is insanely obsessed about how my bike ends up....here are my thoughts.....

first on my bike...i am going all black/red because i have a red/black '01 f4i right now....but instead of black on red, it will end up red on black....that being said, it's getting a full black paintjob with likely an abstract honda wing raising up from the lowers in red and fading into the black...only about halfway up the lower...that way it breaks up the black....that being said....

here is the key in any good all around aesthetic change...and it was already said by DJ_Squatch....

it's the little things...the little things make all the difference....it's one thing to have a new paintjob....someone can see that right away...something different...but it's when they look at the bike and it just flows....little accents here and there that make it "pop"....for example...when OCC makes a bike...the paintjob and the chrome standout...but it's the little things you don't notice right away that you sense are there that make you go wow....

so...in terms of my bike....things i am doing...for one i am powdercoating the sub, swing (to come), pegs, rearsets, stator, engine covers, wheels (all done) in gloss black and having the bike paint match the glossiness....well...looking at the rear...seeing as i am going for a FULL black and red meaning NO metal at ALL exposed....i painted the inner of the rear rotor...painted the bolt heads, painted the sprocket carrier, painted the nut and axle nut head all gloss black with an epoxy based paint so it won't chip while wrenching...then got annodized red sprocket nuts to hold my new cat5 black sprocket to the sprocket carrier.....

basically....my rear end when put together will be nothing but gloss black with no exposed metal...i even painted the chain adjusters and screws black....and to really make the back end pop, i had the calipers powdercoated red and have red rim stripes on the gloss black rims....running off the red caliper is a red ss line have a black banjo and black fitting....

i know this all sounds nuts...but when you look at it....something about it makes you just go "wow that's nice"...you would never think it is because of the painted inner...or the painted bolts....the whole thing will just flow...

now that is just the rear...don't get me into the painted rear master cylinder, painted rear brake reservoir...anno red bar end...anno red yoke nut...anno red shift rod....etc....bottom line is...if you have the time (now mine is going on 6 months of working on it off and on)....and you really want something special....think it through....you can do amazing things....

Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 AM

I agree 100% with ffingers, anyone with money or painting skill can repaint a bike and buy some honda decals....but it takes creativity, patience and originiality to above and beyond just a paint job. What I do is look at a bunch of bikes, cars etc. and if I see something that stands out that I like allot...I brainstorm off of that to get something ive never seen...like this weekend im chopping off my subframe and welding mounting points for the f4 frame I just got.....sure I got the wrong subframe off ebay cause I was being a dumbass and not paying attention..(oringally going to do a f4i tail swap) but then looked to see what i could do with a f4 sub...cause ive seen dozens of f4i tails on f2s...but not a 1000rr tail..so im doing that instead cause ive never seen it...allot of work and money just for a tail section, but nobodys ever done that...that i know of. Point being...be ridiculous do every little thing. once again my 2 cents

Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM

ok so after looking at your pic a little more ive got another idea....you should do it gloss black..with the red lower and black honda decal like you have...then do the swingarm and fork legs red...do the wheels black with red rim tape, and then get the brake calipers red, do all the normal small things, then do red brand name decals down the front of the side fairings. Then get all of the bolts and nuts and all the little stuff like that is visible..and anodize them red. then do either a chrome red windscreen or just tinted black if you want to keep it so you can see through it. I think itd look really good like that.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Users

just an fyi....on the bolts...most of the bolts cannot be annodized...they need to be aluminum....problem is...aluminum doesn't have the tensile strength needed for high torque values...as a result...you need titanium....titanium bolts only typically come in purple, blue, or like a rainbow color....sooo...you can replace bolts with annodized aluminum bolts if they don't require a high torque value and are not in critical areas...i.e. engine case bolts, fairing bolts, windscreen bolts, etc....

there in lies my problem and i have researched EXTENSIVELY....www.tastynuts.com has your best bet for bolts and i have already ordered a few anno red things from them, dust caps, yoke caps, yoke nut, shift rod, sprocket nuts....

for everything else...i am going black...so as i remove things....i scuff em up with sandpaper and prime them and found that POR makes a very very hard paint called hardnose paint that has a hardener additive which should withstand torque on the bolts....i am going to paint my first set tonight...i'll tell you how it turns out...

like we said before...it's the little things like the bolt color and things of that nature that make the bike complete...you just have to be willing to put in the time to do it...

Quick Reply: Another paint thread, opinions needed.