CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Am I crazy to sell my F2 so soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy to sell my F2 so soon

I got my F2 last summer for my first bike. It couldnt have been a better bike. Last summer and this summer I have put about 5k miles on it. I almost feel as if I should sell it now before something goes wrong though. Either sell and get something newer, or pay to have my bike running well.

The real problem is, I could be getting $400 more than what I payed for it(I got a damn steal on it), and there is a 2006 DRZ400 SM locally for $3k lol.

I don't have much knowledge of motorcycles but if I need to I can get things done using a manuel (changed my own fork seals oohh ahh I know). But when I am looking to clean my carbs or have them syncced, I dont even want to think about the amount of work that involves, not to mention the tools I dont have.

So I guess what I really want to know is: What kind of pricing should I be looking at to have my carbs cleaned and syncced, and do you think its worth the upkeep on the F2 or should I try and get a newer bike if possible?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM

I would keep it. I am sure it has a lot of life in it. Wait another year and see if you really want something new. Unless you are unhappy with it I don't see a reason to move on yet. You can clean the carbs yourself but I don't know what is involved with sync'ing them.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. After sleeping on it, I think I am going to keep it. Its a pretty unique CBR, repainted white and green with black rims, full muzzy, a double bubble screen and only 23k miles. The simplicity of a motard is calling me though.

I was thinking, if I had to put another thousand into getting a motard, I might as well use that money on my current bike as long as it is in good condition. Online I saw a few dyno jet kits for 100 bucks. Are these "dyno jet kits" fuel injection or just better jets? And What kind of pricing should I be looking at to have them installed/tuned. I know I can get a quote (and probably will later today) I just would like to see what others have payed in the past, or think a fellow F2 owner should be paying for that type of work.

You really think I could clean the carbs myself? I have never even seen the inside of a carb before, let alone taking it all apart and cleaning it lol. Do you mean sea foam or something? I suppose if its a big money saver, this is something I should be doing... I do have the shop tear down manual I suppose.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM

There is a thread on it. If you have turned a wrench before I am sure you could figure it out if you take your time and look it over. Having the manual helps.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-93/carburetor-cleaning-tuning-101-a-96888/

Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Keep it I have 36000 on mine and runs like new...

Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Ya, I just checked my manual and it doesnt look too bad I guess. When you actually clean the carbs, do you have to fully take them apart or just use compressed air in reachable places once you remove them from the bike? Is there anything special I should know about disconnecting hoses or things with fluid in them? Can there be gas in the tank before I remove it?

This might end up being easier than my fork seals considering I dont even have a bike stand.

Thanks for the link, Crash. Ill check it out.

EDIT: Damn, that link is amazing. If that is a sticky I feel like a retard for missing it.

Last edited by antatious; 08-13-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM

I purchased my F2 with 40,000 miles on her! When I first bought her I didn't know how to work on motorcycles, Let alone Carburated ones. I took her to a local shop and He charged me $240.00 This included parts and labor. He ended up replacing my pilot jets, The rubber boots which connect your carbs to your head, Got the carbs synced, He checked my valves to make sure I didn't have any tight valves. He even fine tuned it for about 3 days... All of this for only $240.00

The only reason I paid to do it the first time is because I didn't want to jeopardize my riding season because of a mistake I made trying to fix it. Just remember one thing if you decide to do it yourself... EXTRA PARTS ON THIS PROJECT ARE NOT A GOOD THING! =) Good luck.

If you need another link, Try this one:

http://www.musclecross.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113

Last edited by G-ShocK; 08-13-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 PM

I managed a retail computer repair shop for 7 years, and I got this exact question 20 times a day. Here is THE answer: If you pick up the sales paper every Sunday to look at who's got a good deal on a computer, then it's time for you to get a new computer.

You don't want the bike. It's not a bad bike, and there's nothing wrong with it, but you want a DIFFERENT bike, and now you're never going to be 100% happy with your F2. Sell your F2, get your $400, get your DRZ400 and enjoy your contentedness. if you wanna be extra nice, sell the F2 to someone on this forum, whom you know will love it.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why you want to downgrade ....put some dirt bike bars on the f2 and roll out

Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by DRLOWZ
Keep it I have 36000 on mine and runs like new...
55k here and still runs great even at full force pegged at the red for a whole day at the track.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to sell my F2 so soon