CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Accidentally put a little diesel in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accidentally put a little diesel in.

So, being in a rush and stopping at a gas station I have never been to before, I accidentally put some diesel in. Only about 1-2 seconds of pumping. I just grabbed the nozzel farthest to the right for a higher grade and didnt even check if it was gas or diesel. :X

I filled the rest up with gas as much as I could and tried shaking my bike around a little. It seems like the only difference is it runs extra bad in low RPMs when cold. When it heated up, it felt pretty normal though. Could this be a big problem?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2009, 04:38 PM

It could do some nasty things, but nothing irreversible. Plug fouling and things like that. Just be safe and drain the tank and bowls. It's the right way to do things, and only costs you like $10 in gas.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Damn. I was in a rush to class. Will it be that bad if I run it all through with gas?

My bike is running really jumpy at >4k rpms, is that the spark plugs going?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2009, 01:56 AM
SJN

Putting some diesl in a gas engine is not too bad. Gas in a diesel engine, will destroy it .

If your bike runs like crap, siphon the fuel out of your tank, and refill with fresh gas....then you are good to go.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:47 AM

Putting a little bit of diesel in a gas motor wont have that much of a significance(sp)lol,... by what you said it will just clean the carbon off of the valves etc. With the finely tuned motors these bikes have you might foul a plug like johnnyx mentioned but nothing irreversible. if you ran the tank almost empty I wouldnt worry about it just run it out and put your normal gas in it. If it's half or so run 93 to distill it more but if she is runny extremely **tty then I would drain it, clean plugs(possibly replace if needed) and fill her back up. From what you described, if I was you no need to worry. Good Luck

Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Well, that is good to hear. I thought I remember hearing that putting gas in a diesel engine is really bad, and was hoping it wasnt the other way around.

What kind of performance issues can result in fouled plugs? Would it be noticable through out all RPMs or more problematic in specific areas (low rpms)? I have a feeling I need new plugs... Not only because of the gas problem but because I havent replaced them since I bought the bike and I have put 5k miles on it, putting it at 24k.

Thanks for the help all.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 PM

fouling the plug will make it run really rough all over, and potentially not start. Think of it this way, its running really rich (too much fuel, not enough air). The reason it will foul is because diesel doesnt ignite with spark like gas does, it needs really high compression, which your bike will not provide.

The only other thing I see happening to a bit of diesel in your tank is, you might gum up your carbs a bit.

If you're saying that you havent bought new plugs since you bought the bike, unless you know how old they are, it would be worth changing them. Also, while you're in there you might as well take apart and clean the carbs I would think. Or have it done at a shop.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM

So, something odd happened a couple days after I put diesel in.

I warmed my bike up and all 4 cylinders were definitely working when I initially started it. It wasnt to optimum temp, but I took it just about 3-400 feet to a gas station to fill the tires up and top off the gas. It started and warmed up as it should the first time. When I started the bike for the third time (after filling gas was 2nd, then drove it 30 feet to air and that was the 3rd) it was extremely sluggish in even keeping it running at idle. I definitely heard the CCT rattling, which my bike does sometimes when I initially turn it on. Then as I pulled out, the 4 cylinders were definitely not all working- or something of that nature. It felt like I was driving a buel blast... But even less power. And it sounded different. After only about 1 to 2 minutes of driving, I immediately felt the other cylinders kick in and it drove just as it always has- same power, acceleration, and sound.

Is it possible the fuel just wasnt igniting in all the cylinders until it warmed up more? I started my bike this morning and it drove fine again. I am only saying the other cylinders were not working because that is my best guess.

What does everyone think happened for that little duration and should I be concerned?

Thanks again, I love this forum.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 AM

Please help with my most recent post. I guess it isnt a problem until I make it one, but I am concerned with what happened. When I get my bike back, i'll check the plugs.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM

I would think that your analysis would be correct... the motor will run better once its is at operating temp because the diesel needs more heat or compression to burn. If you don't want to drain the tank, I would just get the thing up to operating temp and go for a long ride, not putting too much load on the engine, and drain that tank.

I own like 2 diesel cars btw, and I run them off of cooking oil. I know all about poor combustion

Quick Reply: Accidentally put a little diesel in.