CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

93' f2 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 93' f2 help

k, im going to try an do that all today. just hope the rain holds off. also was wondering what the gap should be? it came pre gap at 35, also what type of grease should i put on the throttle spring? i sprayed it with carb cleaner not knowing i had to grease it afterwards. an now it sticks! thanks for all the help guys/ladys

Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 AM

Well it stoped raining, so went out an all i did was put the key in an turn it to the on position an it back fired without even doing anything else. So is that normal? I figured it was just carb cleaner sitting in it! Also toke out the first plug on the left side an was fine nothing was wrong with it an had good spark when I tested it. Hoping to pull the carbs an all off today an clean the carbs an jets! An before i forget I remember my buddie telling me when he tried getting he old gas out that just turning the petcock to on would not let the gas out just an a very slow drip, would the petcock be dirty or clogged as well?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, you shouldn't use carb cleaner when there are still rubber parts in the carbs. They don't tend to like each other.

As for the petcock, you should not get any gas flow just by opening the petcock valve. The petcock requires a vacuum attached to the smaller of the two ports to induce flow. If you duck tape a vacuum onto the smaller one, furthest from the petcock ****, you can use that to induce flow. Normally, this would be attached to the side of the carb.

Since you are pulling the carbs...be mindful to look at the gaskets. If they are in bad repair, then buy new ones! Same with the o-rings. When cleaning the jets, you will find one brass tube that is not removable. This is the idle jet. You will find a single pinhole, dead center and you might not see it if it's clogged. If you are going to use a wire to clean it out, then you will definitely need to remove the pilot screws. This also has an o-ring on it, btw. Before you remove the screw, screw it all the way in, COUNTING the turns. Do not tighten the screw...just turn lightly until it stops. When you put the pilot screw back in, screw it all the way in, then count the turns backwards. If you don't do this, then you will have to recalibrate them to factor specs which is not fun to do. (You may still have to do it, after cleaning out the idle jet, but hopefully not.) If all goes well, you should be able to place the carb cleaner straw up against the jet and it should come out 2 other orifaces. One being the brass tubes on the top of the carb and the other should be in the venturi (the huge round opening). It might also come out of where the idle screw sits if you haven't put the screw back in. Be sure not to widen the holes. Brass is very malable.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM

BTW, it's a relatively easy proces...just sounds complex.

EDIT:
I found two things that were difficult with this...

[ol][*]Actually pulling the carbs off.[*]Making sure the jets are actually cleaned out! This took me 3 times. I had no experience doing this kind of work before, so it was a learning experience. There is a walk through on cleaning the carbs in the How-To section. This DOES NOT illustrate the actual cleaning of the jets.
[/ol]

Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Thanks alot man! Got other things to do today so hopefully have time once I get back to take the carbs back off an see what they look like an what happens once all back together, an ill let everyone know! Once again thanks to everyone who has helped an gave me advise been greatly appreciated

Old 04-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Well today was a nice day out so got up early an went to work on the bike. Cleaned jets an sprayed just about every hole on the carbs out an blew air threw em all, toke petcock off ran some carb cleaner an air threw it, has a k&n filter in it n jsut happend to have the cleaner an oil for it so clean it up an re oiled it! Also have to admit i was sooo scared an worried messing around with the carbs thought id get it al together an end up messing things up more but toke my time an after everything an charging the battery back up what ya know fired right up with out havin the choke on, even toke it up an down the road a few times.. It felt so great to have it running an back on a bike! THANK YOU all who has helped me, so glad i found this site!! THANKS

Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Went out to start the bike today, an i had the choke open all the way an it didnt want to run! I had to keep trying to start it an it would run then die, every time after that it run a little longer an then finally stayed runinng once it kinda warmed up some! so would this have something to do with the choke cable? or the throttle cables? once warmed up it seems to run alright. ya give it a quick flip on the throttle an it has some white smoke that shouts out most the time, this jsut a lean mixture? its been little crappy around here lately so havent got to ride it to much an get on it to blow any carbon out! well thanks an happy riding

Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Maybe the choke isn't opening enough...or is it closing...I know on a lawn mower you block the airflow, I think on a bike it just lets more in....

You might want to rebalance the carbs and go through the steps of making sure the idle screw is set right. If all is good, your bike should start almost immediately with full choke. I don't have to use my throttle at all to start my F2. That would lead me to believe that the idle screws might not be quite right. There's a lot of finetuning to get them right. Standard starting off is having the screws 2-1/8 turns out unless you have the california model which is 2-3/4. If you set them to that, do you get any improvement. Again after you did that, sync carbs then adjust idle according to the instructions.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 PM

Man i honestly think you need to have someone take ur carbs off and get them tuned/sync'd. Instead of trying to weed your way around it.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM

You sound like my co-workers. Then again, they aren't mechanically inclined. I think the learning process involved here will give more returns then paying someone to do it. PLUS, the overall good feelings you have by knowing that you did it yourself. Besides, synching the carbs and adjusting the pilot screws isn't all that difficult once you get your hands on the tools.

Oh sqhurt, pull the aircleaner box off and check what happens when you put the choke all the way on. If they aren't opening all the way, then adjust the cable.