CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

'93 cbr 600 f2

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 cbr 600 f2

Hi y'all!

I posted in the welcome thread yesterday and someone said that I should pop over here and give you guys a shout out as well.

I just purchased a new to me, 1993 CBR 600 F2. It's not in the greatest shape ever but I think that the potential and everything is there to make an awesome bike. This is the link to the Craigslist page. I will make sure to post pictures as soon as I get a chance and then maybe I could get some feedback from everyone on here about what exactly I'm working with.

I have a good amount of mechanical knowledge (I love tinkering and I'm majoring in Biomedical Engineering so I've spent a lot of hours in the shop), but no direct experience with motorcycles. It's going to be a big project I know, and it's going to take some time but I'm excited to just put the work in and make it beautiful and my own.

I'm sure I'll be needing help along the way so I'll make sure to post pictures and progress updates so that you guys can come along and help me when I get stuck. But just a public service announcement, I don't really know motorcycle language so when I describe things based on how they look or anything like that, hopefully you'll realize that I'm just an amateur trying to learn and will teach, not judge.

Thanks in advance, I'm excited to be here.

Matthew

Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM

welcome,

i also just picked up a 93 f2 and am knee deep in ideas..

I have had some great help already so I'm sure people will encourage you to get dirty ;-).

Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcom mrmc, and good luck with your work!

The best advice I can give, is to check out threads on this forum, for ideas and inspiration, and more importantly, get a manual! I recommend having the Honda manual for the bike, as well as the Haynes that is available - this way you can begin to learn on your own, and not have to ask questions on every little aspect... it's not that people here are not willing to answer questions, but it's helpful to us, when you do use the right terminology, or at least close, and take some initiative on figuring things out.

Have you got any pictures of your F2?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Snap, that looks like a real bargain! A running bike with low Km and some spare parts, nice. What's your plan? Get it back into ship-shape for a daily street bike? Go for the naked look? Track bike? Stunt bike? Add a side car for the dog?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM

I got lucky and was able to find both manuals online and I have access to a really good two sided printer so I have hard copies already. Benefits of still being a student.

I've been doing research non-stop trying to get the language down and make sure I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into before I get started and break it down, can't get it back together and have to ask you guys for help. I think I've got my language down pretty well. And pictures will certainly help.

First things first I want to get it back running in tip-top condition so that I can have it as a daily rider once things warm up in the spring and summertime. I'm much more worried about mechanical issues for the time being, but as it doesn't seem like there are too many to worry about, I think I'll get to upgrades/aesthetics pretty quickly. I essentially want to make the bike look as close to brand new as possible. It's going to take a lot of cleaning and from what I can understand a lot of fiberglass patch as well as sandpaper, paint, and time, but I think I can get it done. I'm looking at painting all the plastics a deep blue with some bright red accent colors, and leaving the white seat and white wheels (obviously refinishing/recovering them as needed). I've got a long road ahead but I'm excited to get working.

The earliest I will be able to get pictures will be Saturday afternoon/evening as I had to head out of town right after picking it up. I'll be back Saturday though and will take some picks and then start on the tear-down.

Thanks for the welcoming responses all!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 PM

The owner wouldn't provide you with a title? No matter how long it hasn't been registered, the title should still be in his name and transferable. Hope you are able to get things moved into your name easily.

Good luck with the bike.