CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

92 gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 gas leak

I recently got a 92 cbr 600 black white rims. I got it running rode it and noticed it was leaking gas I cleaned the carbs got new fuel line clamps it didn't leak I rode it watched it then parked it came back it was leaking gas a bit from what I can see from the t joint area... I can't figure out the problem I'm going to try new fuel line this weekend and see but any idea ideas will help I've searched but nothing seems to be the same issues my floats seems fine cleaned them

Thanks

Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are some float bowl overflow tubes in that general area too. If you have a petcock that is stuck open, you could just be having your bowls filling up and overflowing.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM

I checked the floats they move freely. And seem fine I'm not sure about the petcock.. My buddy thinks it's the o rings that are in between carb 1 and 2 seems to be from that area. The carbs and fuel line are dripping it doesn't seem to come from the petcock but that is possible if it's causing the float to stay open. How can I check my petcock?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM

How can I check my petcock to set of its stuck open?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 AM

Float bowl gasket?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arn1016
How can I check my petcock to set of its stuck open?
You can attatch a length of fuel line to the petcock, route it to a gas can, and start the engine (if you've got fuel in the float bowls) - with the vacuum line connected, the petcock should open, and fuel should flow to the gas can - after you shut off the motor, the vacuum in the petcock should dissipate, closing the diaphragm, and stopping the fuel flow. If it continues to flow, then the petcock needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

+1 on Redbaron's suggestion... if one of those rubber float bowl seals is shot, that could also explain your leakage.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 PM

Had to work late today and help a buddy move his sleds not much progress done today took off the gas tank got the fuel line off going to try and replace that anyone know what size it is? I'm also going to get some o rings to and try that if not then try petcock early morning tomorrow tons to do

Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Cool

Hey bro, the 91 is a bullet proof bike, however it still needs some tlc from time too time, take the carbs apart and check the float needles if it is scoured which means that it will be a shiny ring around the bottom of the float dowel part, then you need to replace them. I am a mechanic and worked in a shop, seen this problem many times, from your description it doesn't seem you are having a diaphragm problem because the bike is running, it only over flow's when it is sitting. don't rule It rule out being an issue yet, if it is go to pingle and get a gravity fed fuel petcock from them you will never have an fuel issue again. I ran it for years on my f2 and it was a track bike only

Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Cool

Hey bro, the 91 is a bullet proof bike, however it still needs some tlc from time too time, take the carbs apart and check the float needles if it is scoured which means that it will be a shiny ring around the bottom of the float dowel part, then you need to replace them. I am a mechanic and worked in a shop, seen this problem many times, from your description it doesn't seem you are having a diaphragm problem because the bike is running, it only over flow's when it is sitting. don't rule It rule out being an issue yet, if it is go to pingle and get a gravity fed fuel petcock from them you will never have an fuel issue again. I ran it for years on my f2 and it was a track bike only

before you install the carbs, bench test them first, place them on a table at theangle they would sit on the motor and let them sit for about 10 min. if they leak you may have to replace all the o-rings and clean the carbs. not knowing how long it has been sitting or how hard the o-rings are it would be a good investment and also help you too become familiar with your bike. once you fix something you feel like a king trust me I know!Z

Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Took your advice took out my carbs alone did another cleaning. I found some OEM o rings on craigslist lucky me. I changed to o rings out new fuel line on and put new left control switch and throttle cables on and put my carbs back up started great no choke even at 30 degrees. She was leaking still but the o ring leak by the joint is gone now there is a very slow drip which looked like to me be coming from the float cover screws but I looked more n let her ruin longer and noticed it was coming from between float cover and carbs so it has to be the gaskets 16010-MZ5-920 order 4 for ebay but going to try a few bike shop before I pay the next day shipping. I never worked on cars and this is my first street bike so for me to do this all alone did feel great. Keep everyone updated thanks for the help and reading my long rant I have to astart a thread here soon on progress after this gas leak is on to the cosmetic part

Quick Reply: 92 gas leak