CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

91 F2 engine died!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 F2 engine died!?!?!?!

my friend was riding his 91 F2 at about 80, then there were 3 backfires and it died. it wouldnt try to start at all, just crank over. i checked the motor and didnt notice any cracked cases or leaking. i checked the far left plug and it looked fine. im going to check the others and see how they look. im not too sure what to start with. since then, it started for about 2 seconds one time. im thinking about checking the fuel pump and then going into electrical.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Default RE: 3 backfires, then the engine died!?!?!?!

so, i guess there werent any backfires. my friend says it was his 600rr. we have narrowed it down to not being a fuel problem. we took the tank off and sprayed some quick start in the carbs and it still wouldnt start. still looking for ideas though. i dont know where to start with the electrical system.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: shinysideup

i dont know where to start with the electrical system.
I would start by pulling the plugs and keep them in order. Are they wet with gas? Connect to the plug wires, lay them on the valve cover and see if each sparks. No spark at all? Check fuses, engine stop switch, ignition switch, and all the safety switches (clutch, tip over, sidestand, etc.). Then I would check the coils, pulse generator, and spark unit. You will need a $20 digital voltmeter and a manual to check these.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 PM

I would pull the plugs out and sandblast them or buy new NGKs. They can spark and still be fouled. Sounds exactly like your problem

Old 10-06-2005, 10:50 PM

now that you mention it, the plugs could be the factor. he got it started today for a little after spraying some of the quick start in the carbs. but then it died after he gave it some gas for a few seconds. ill check that and see if it could work. ill have him get the good plugs. it has always been a little quirky. this isnt the first time it has died for no reason. but it was always easy to get it started back up. ill let you all know what happens

Old 10-08-2005, 07:59 PM

does anyone know what other engine parts are compatible with a 91 F2. i have been looking for parts and havent found many 91 parts, but there are a lot for other 600 model years. i am looking at: CDI box, fuel pump, coils, and a stator. basically, engine stuff

Old 10-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a timing issue or an electrical sensor gave up the ghost.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Default RE: 91 F2 engine died!?!?!?!

ok, i just pulled one of the plugs. there was no spark. so i checked the spark at the coil and there is no power. so i traced it back in the main harness to the compartment right in front of the battery. there are about 5 plugs there and they are all plugged in. since the coil wires are all inside of a huge casing which houses a bunch of wires, i cant tell which one is for them. i checked all the fuses in the comp by the right handlebar and the main fuse in front of the battery. now, im stuck. any clues?

Old 10-09-2005, 09:08 PM

yea man bring it to your honda dealer. tell 'em to fix that sh*t!![:@]

Old 10-10-2005, 06:00 PM

id rather do it myself. it sounds like an expensive shop fix. i think i just need a manual and a volt meter

Quick Reply: 91 F2 engine died!?!?!?!