CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

91 CBR / Ninja 250 need of some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 91 CBR / Ninja 250 need of some advice

If you're going for a 250....look into hyosung (all suzuki parts - I think)...I was going to get one instead of my F2; however, I found a very cheap F2. I extremely happy with the CBR, but if I were to get a 250, I don't think I would go for the ninja because of aestheticsreasons...they haven't changed the look since the day it came out.

http://www.flykittymotorsports.com/inventory.htm

Old 08-01-2007, 02:56 PM

Yeah I would buy a hyosung if I could find one around $2k/3k.. But right now cause where I am it really isn't an option for me to buy.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the hyosung although it looks good has some serious frame issues... enough that when one considers racing one and considers welding the existing welds you find you can't due to the rules...

Sorry - the hyosung build quality is a big issue... the ninja 250 has been unchanged since 1988, sells well and enjoys hi-resale value.

The ninja might not look like a brand new super sport, but she's capable...

(The 250 board is back up Leelee - swing by and drop my name... they'll know me )

Old 08-01-2007, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: leelee

Thanks alot guys for the really good advice, I'm in Manitoba. I'd probably be able to drive over to Minnesota or North dakota if i'll buy a bike in the states. Which I probably will now. Also I'm a really timid rider so it would probably take me alot of hours in the parking lot to get used to a 600 in slow speeds cause I do know that they're heavier then the 250s we used at the motorcycle safety course and have alot more power.
The 91 600cc I found is cheaper then the 250. I'll keep looking for a ninja 250 still!
I live in Mn and I see bikes all the time under 2k. I picked mine up for 1400, however I redid the whole bike, but there was nothing wrong with it besides some scuffs.. check out minneapolis craigslist and carsoup..

Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM

I've been looking at craigslist in mn past couple of days and when I find something I phone and it turns out they sold it a week ago. Going to try carsoup now Thanks!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 PM

The Ninja 250 is around 300 lbs. Just about every 600 is less than 400 lbs. The lightest are around 340, with a whole range of them between about 340 and 370. Anyway, the 300 lb Ninja is super light, bur the 600s are pretty darn light themselves.

Yeah, the 600s are way way way more powerful than the 250. However, they really are safe. Someone said on this forum on another thread that the difference between the 600 and the 1000 is that while both are stupid fast, in order to get stupid fast, you have to ride the 600 like you stole it. With the 1000 you don't. And when you do ride the 1000 like you stole it, your life expectancy is markedly shorter. Anyway, enough about the 1000 and back to the 600. If you DON'T ride the 600 like you stole it, it's actually a pretty well-mannered bike. It definitely is not something to be afraid of. I am not trying to convince you to go for the 600, as I truly believe you could have fun for a long time on the 250. Just trying to expand your range of suitable buys seeing as you seem to be working hard at your shopping. In other words, you might be having a hard time finding a nice deal on a 250, but Kawasaki also makes a Ninja 500 as well. Then you might find a deal on a 'tame' 600 like a Katana or something. There are also some V-Twin motorcycles out there that have larger cylinder displacements but because they are twins, have a lot less overall power and are quite safe, with enough torque to be really fun. The model I am thinking of is the Suzuki SV650, known for a nice engine andfantastic suspension and is generally thought of as an excellent beginner bike, with MUCH less power than any of the inline four cyclinder race replica 600cc sportbikes, though the actual displacement is 50cc's greater.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you to buy a heavier or more powerful bike because I think you will outgrow the 250 (which is the usual reason people discourage purchasing that bike), but rather trying to ensure that you are not afraid of the possibility of looking at 500 and 600 cc bikes in order to help yourself find a good deal. There just might not be any suitable 250s in your area for the right price. I'd hate to see you come home with a less than ideal bike that you payed too much for because you were afraid to look at 500s.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM

I'd really like to get a sv650 but most of the ones I find are over my budget. I will look at some 500cc bikes right away and see what I can find. I'm still looking for 250's and the older cbrs. Most of them arewithin my budget but shipping just rapes the hell out of the deals I find.
I am now unable to travel to the US cause University is coming closer and need to save even more money for communiting.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 PM

You're Canadian French?

You don't have friends or family with a Pickup? Or a car and the willingness to drive you to a neighboring town to pick up a bike and follow you home? Or are you conerned that you are too novice to handle the ride home? If you end up with a 250, you could get a couple blankets and some bubblewrap and just lay it in the back of a friend's pickup without causing any damage I bet. You wouldn't have to have any special straps or knowledge of securing the bike for treansport. If you were concerned, you could take off the fairing, bubble wrap and blanket the bike, throw it in the back of a pickup, and head home.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 PM

No, I'm not french canadian. Ihave onefriend that Iknow of, but I wont botherasking cause he keeps it in showroom condition and calls it his hot rod. I'm positive that I could be able to ride it home if I had some practice with it. But yes I'll see what I can find yet..
Thanks again for the advice we have tons of bubblewrap I could use if I can find someone with a truck.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT USE THE BUBBLE WRAP ADVISE PLEASE.

Here is a wordy explanation: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_can...uck/trailer%3F

The way to haul a bike is ON ITS WHEELS. This will mean the suspension, and not the plastics will absorb the bumps as you drive home.

I do know the ninja 250 will fit in the back of a van if you remove the rear seats... and I also know that their are Uhaul trailers are available that would do the trick nicely as well. Or a rental truck.

Anyhow - please do not think about using bubble wrap and blankets as you will almost certainly damage your new bike.,

Quick Reply: 91 CBR / Ninja 250 need of some advice