CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

50,000mi maitinence

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 50,000mi maitinence

Been reading alot of post in the last few days since i've got my f2, It's my first sportbike and i'm very excited!! You guys have alot of good information that is very helpfull to us new guys! Especially the sticky's about the cct. (i'm having my brother order a new one off ebay)

Just got my 93 f2 for $1400 plastic is rough but it's all there, and it needs a new cct. It seems to be shiftin a little hard as well. So just wondering if there's anything i need to replace or keep an eye on at such high miles? I'd appriciate some help! Thanks

Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 AM

Honestly, As long as you keep up with maintenance, These bikes will treat you well.... just make sure to keep your carburetor clean, frequent oil changes etc etc... Oh and never go cheap while doing things like oil changes... Trust ma little extra cash can go a long way in the long run! I mean I'm a noob too, But you'll learn quickly young grasshopper. =) Best of luck to you and ride safe my friend!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 AM

+1, Never go cheap for components, oil, or even antifreeze. Pour a lil sea foam from auto zone in your gas tank, it helps clean alot of crap out. They all shift pretty hard. Very audible when slapping it into gear.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 PM

+1 for changing the oil. I would do a coolant flush as well.

Got any pics?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM

What type of oil would you recomend? I've heard good things about mobile1...Coolant flush? As in drain the antifreeze and put in some new, what type of aintifreeze? Dont have any pics yet but i'm hoping to get some up soon.... Thanks for the help!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM

I have been using MOBIL 1 in all my Hondas for the past 14 yrs. I highly recommend it..good high quailty oil goes along way.Thats my 2 cents

Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM

I actually just changed my antifreeze coolant for the first time. They say to do it every 8k miles or 2 years. The drain plug for that is on the left side right on the water pump. Put your drain pan far away, it shot out a good 2 feet or so away from my bike like a super soaker. Anyways, unscrew that then take off your radiator cap (while the bike is cool). Your radiator cap is on the right side under your fuse box basically. Rock the bike a few times when it looks finished draining.

Remove the hose from the coolant reservoir and drain that out also. The hose plugs into the reservoir right by the rear shock. Be sure its the lower hose, not the upper. Once both of these are drained, attach the hose back on and screw back in your drain screw.

I just bought Peak antifreeze. Pretty much as long as it works on aluminum you are ok I think. I mixed about 7 cups of antifreeze with 7 cups of water. Fill your radiator first, but slowly. Keep filling until it reaches just under the reservoir tank tubing. About 6 inches from the top I would say. Then fill your antifreeze reservoir tank to the UPPER level mark, do not completely fill it. Then with everything connected, start your bike and rev it at 5k rpms a few times. Turn your bike off and check the coolant levels again. Adjust as needed.

I am still a gaping noob though, so someone correct me if I am wrong about anything at all. This was pretty much all my Clymer manual said to do.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM

I have heard that honda's don't like coolant with "cleaning" properties. Get one with LOW or NO silacates. It appears that silicates (abrasive in nature) damage the Honda water-pump seals.

http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides/eng...ne_coolant.htm
http://mr2.com/TEXT/HondaCoolant.html

Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Thank yall very much!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 PM

for anti freeze i use engine ice, didn't believe the hub-ub about it, but it makes a big difference in a traffic jam. god i hate atlanta.

Quick Reply: 50,000mi maitinence