CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

1993 CBR600f2 Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 CBR600f2 Issues!

I have an array of troubleshooting issues to get through:

I took the carbs off and cleaned them as best to my ability. Since I was planning of having them balanced by a shop, I asked them to do any additional cleaning while disassembled per their judgement. They reassembled and balanced the carbs and here is where my issues begin

- With a secondary tank connected the bike idled smooth, so I hooked up the Honda tank and she now runs like crap. It stalls and revs erratically after turning the choke off at idle.

- Adjust the idle air screw and it will rev to 3,000 RPM's and hold steady, but when adjusting down to get it around 1,500 R's it becomes erratic and stalls again.

- Missing/surging in throttle range mostly in 5th and 6th gear around 6,500-10,000 RPM's. Feels like its starving for fuel.

- Beginning to hear that slap from the cam tensioner, so that will get replaced with a manual tensioner.

- 23,000+ miles so valves probably need adjusted badly (No idea when they were adjusted previously.)

My question is collectively would the valves, cam tensioner, and poor fuel flow cause these issues?

Old 10-31-2017, 12:11 AM

I have been wondering if the shop payed any attention to the throttle cable adjustment when assembling the carb body and throttle attachment, so tonight I adjusted the throttle from the throttle assembly on the handle bar and was able to get the RPM's at idle to smooth out once the choke is off. I took apart the petcock and assembled, because i couldn't see any obvious issue. Tomorrow, the tank will go back on and hopefully the stalling and idle issue will be resolved. I apologize for bumping my own post, but figured anyone facing the same issue may find some resolve in my troubleshooting.
Cam tensioner still an issue
Valves will go to a shop for adjustment provided it isn't $400.00
Thanks Ya'll!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Default Update...Poor Idle continues

After hooking up the auxiliary tank and cleaning the petcock + screen on the Honda tank, I thought my problem was solved. Wrong!

With the Honda tank connected I have to dial the idle air screw in to get the RPM's up to around 3,000 in order to prevent stalling. When adjusting the idle air out to attempt lowering the RPM's to 1,500 at idle, the RPM's drop below 1,000, it becomes erratic, and stalls.

I checked the air hose from #1 carb to petcock and it's clear. The vacuum nipples are plugged as they are supposed to be.

Can someone offer some insight of what I may be missing? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Since it runs fine on a secondary fuel bottle, are you sure the tank and petcock are clear?
I know that some years, though I don't know which ones, the petcock is vacuum based. Is yours?

Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Since it runs fine on a secondary fuel bottle, are you sure the tank and petcock are clear?
I know that some years, though I don't know which ones, the petcock is vacuum based. Is yours?
It is a vacuum petcock. I disassembled it and checked for any holes/tears. The only issue I noted was a very small portion of one side of the rubber gasket was sticking to the metal housing, so I very gently released that contact.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure that you are getting suction from the vacuum line? Could the filter on the petcock be clogged?

Old 11-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Are you sure that you are getting suction from the vacuum line? Could the filter on the petcock be clogged?
Sorry Hamlin, I thought I went over the petcock in one of my earlier posts above. I disassembled the petcock and everything appears to be in order. when using the auxiliary tank I can feel the suction pulling on the suction tube, so I don't believe it's clogged.

Today I'm soaking the inside of the Honda tank with Evaporust, to see if the vent inside the tank is clogged and to remove any rust deposits.

I'm still stumped here so far! Thanks again

Old 11-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

You may have covered it and I missed it. I was going to suggest that maybe your tank is getting vapor locked. But it looks like you are heading that path.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johndevlin3
Sorry Hamlin, I thought I went over the petcock in one of my earlier posts above. I disassembled the petcock and everything appears to be in order. when using the auxiliary tank I can feel the suction pulling on the suction tube, so I don't believe it's clogged.

Today I'm soaking the inside of the Honda tank with Evaporust, to see if the vent inside the tank is clogged and to remove any rust deposits.

I'm still stumped here so far! Thanks again
Just run a length of wire up the breather pipe to make sure it’s not clogged up

Old 11-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gunk
Just run a length of wire up the breather pipe to make sure it’s not clogged up
Thanks Gunk. I tried that when I soaked the inside of the tank with Evaporust. I did just about everything I could think of to troubleshoot this issue, including adjusting the idle screw about a 100 times up and down.

This past weekend I decided to ride and manage the idle issue, hoping that pushing fuel through the system would help in some way. Long story short, I had a slight mishap with a sewer grate and she slid out from under me. Fortunately I was only rolling about 15-20 mph and very little damage was done. I stood her up and got clear of the road to restart, then low and behold I backed out the idle adjustment and she held steady at 1,000 RPM's. Anyone want to take a stab at how the hell that solved the issue?

Quick Reply: 1993 CBR600f2 Issues!