CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

1992 Honda CBR600F2 Overheating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Honda CBR600F2 Overheating Problems

Ok, Im a girl...I work on cars but know nothing about bikes. I just bought this '92 CBR600F2 to my knowledge it has a stage 7 jet kit, two brothers racing muffler, upgraded chain...I think dude said 1 in front 2 in back or something like that...anyways...I was ridin through town today at about 35 in 5th gear...started gettin pretty hot. Its been doin this for some reason. When i went to look at it he turned it on and it sounded like there was a fan blowing...when i turn it on theres no noise. Could this be the problem? The only thing wrong with it that I know of is it has no ignition switch and back brake caliper and it likes to stall out at red lights if you sit for a minute or more... any ideas???

Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Default RE: 1992 Honda CBR600F2 Overheating Problems

How hot is it reading on the temp guage? They do run hot, and the fan does not kick on until over 3/4 on the guage. 35 in 5th gear??? Crazy...-1 in front and +2 in the rear is your sprocket sizes...you prolly have a 520 chain conversion too. If your bike is really OVERheating you may have a bad thrmostatic switch, it is in the lower corner of the radiator and tells the fan to turn on. Otherwise you might try a coolant flush.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 PM

It gets up to like maybe...1/4 of an inch below the red on the gauge. Even when I stop I dont hear the fan or anything. I may sound really stupid right now, but I dont even know where the radiator cap is...another question, next to the gas turn on thing, theres a little circle thing and I dont know what its for, fill me in? Also what kind of gas should I run in it? I put 5 dollars worth of super (93 octane)in it today. 35 in 5th, that bad? I just didnt want to overheat it. When starting do I have to turn the gas **** thing all the way up? He told me to for some reason but someone else told me its not good...You think maybe it just needs a good tune up? LikeRadiator Flush, Oil Change, Carbs/Jets Cleaned, Plug/Wire Change, Filters Changed?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM

start with a coolant flush and find out wtf you've got a stage SEVEN jet kit on there for. its possible that your stalling issue is related to the jet kit. just a tiny bit more fuel would more than likely be absolutely FINE for around town riding, I mean you're not like trying to drag race it(I wouldnt think) so thats just really killing MPG more than anything.

MY Hurricane would do the exact same thing yours does, even with NO fairings, until I got it good and warm, then did a total backflush of my cooling system and got this nasty crap that looked like snot out of the system, now it doesnt really get up past about halfway usually. I've NEVER heard my fan kick on either.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 PM

I didnt put it on there, i think he said he has a stage 3 or stock set hes gonna give me. Dude drag raced it, it has no mirrors, no turn signals, no rear brakes its been spray painted white to keep cops off his tail. It runs like crap at low speeds...I only bought it for joy riding lol Maybe minor street races but nothing above 140 MPH lol He said it does 140 MPH in the 1/4 mile...how much could I sell the stage 7 for?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM

The **** by the petcock is the idle screw, it adjusts the idle. If I go 35, I'm in 3rd. It's the sprockets. The petcock is on reserve when in the up position. Some say it is bad because the fuels comes from the bottom of the tank and may have junk...but I don't really buy it because there is a screen on the petcock and the fuel swishes all around when riding anyway. I still ride in the on position (down) just in case I run it out of gas I still have reserve. Ideally you are best off running the lowest octane fuel you can without pings. So...you really should get some mirrors and lights to be riding around the streets. Mostly because cars will NOT pay attention to you so anything that helps them notice you and you see them is a plus...IMO. A tune-up should be in order...I would do one anytime I bought a new vehicle...just so I know the status of everything. A shop will way overcharge you...if you've worked on cars you should download the service manual and DIY...once again IMO.