CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd noise

Yesterday I got the old cane out for the gf to pratice on so I took it for a little stroll to warm it up prior to her getting on it. Well after getting it warmed up I got off and started to explain clutch control (she is rly new to anything with a clutch) and the cane just started to bog down.

The only thing I have to discribe what it started sounding like is if you have ever heard a dry clutch but way louder!! I pulled the clutch lever and it went away. Also while it was pulled in I could not shift into any gear! I just replaced the fibers and springs in the clutch maybe 100 miles ago.

Also I noticed that the oil was higher on the dipstick than the last time I checked it. It looked like oil so no water but reeked of gas!

Anyone have any idea on what happened? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Default RE: Wierd noise

the smell of fuel in the oil means you've got a carb issue you need to sort. probably need to clean the carbs out and check the float height.
I cannot explain the dragging issue though. but go back into the motor and recheck your work to make sure all your fastenings are to the proper torque settings.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM

I went step by step by the manual to put everything together. It drug a little when it was put together but then was all good and smooth. I also didn't put oem fibers back in, I went with what the dealer offered. I just can't remember the name of them.

I just rebult the carbs this past winter. The only thing I didn't do was set float height. The weird thing is that it ran fine all up to this point.

The clutch was definately dragging because I shut it off then put it in 1st and pulled the clutch and fired it up. It pulled forward intermitedly, not a constant.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since there is fuel in the oil, it could be the cause of your clutch issues. the oil is at this point contaminated and not allowing the clutch plates to work properly. this is assuming that the clutch is properly installed and cable is properly adjusted.

did the dealer by chance sell you barnett clutch kit?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 PM

That sounds about right about the clutch. Would everything be ok as long as not much time was spent with the contamination?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the help

Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 PM

I finally broke into it and found that somehow the bolt that holds the stator wires outta the way came loose and was rubbing on the clutch. Got it back together and it runs great once again.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM

glad it was something simple and minor. thank god right?

Quick Reply: Wierd noise