CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Whole lotta gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whole lotta gas

Well I was looking at the bike yesterday before I started it up after a late season oil change, and there it was: a single drop of fuel. Taken back I immediately discovered my petcock was leaking, pulled the tank off, proceeded to tip it over spilling about 1/2 gal of gas in the process. I figured the petcock would just be an o-ring problem, but I was taken back when I realized that the petcock doesnt even come apart. The damn thing is riveted together, so I had to take it out to our shop, drill out the rivets, pop the cover off only to look at the main gasket that determines where the fuel is going. After 18 years I guess it finally wore out. The gasket had all kinds of grooves in it from being turned on and off, the lines leading to it where full of junk, and rust in the line leading from the tank. Needless to say I was kinda disappointed because this will more than likely end my season a week early.

What I did try to do was to clean it all up, flip the gasket around, drill all the way through the rivet holes, and pull everything back together with a couple of self tapping screws. No luck, the gasket was way too messed up to hold fuel without leaking a small drop now and then again. So if anyone ever wants to take apart their petcock, its possible just make sure to have the small gasket with the four holes on it beforehand. Also if someone was to do it right I would recommend having the oring that goes around the selection dial.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Whole lotta gas

That's too bad and sounds like a headache. Mine sorta does the same thing, but is internal and the fuel selector does nothing. So off just kills my higher rpm, and there is no difference between on and res. I know its leaking but at least its not all over my garage floor.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine leaks while in the off position. i just ordered a new one to replace it. that will go on with the new tank.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys dont ever worry about a float not being set correctly and getting some gas down in the oil?

Old 10-19-2006, 04:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not really. I had all my carbs tuned on a dyno and it took for freaking ever, but it runs sweet! So at least the floats are set right.