CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do???

Hi Folks!

My grandfather had leased a Body Shop to a guy that never paid him. Long story short, I wound up with a 1987 CBR 600 F1. The bike has absolutely no tank, all fairings are missing, no fenders, no headlight, poor tires, and damaged exhaust. I made a temp gas tank to verify it ran and it does! So I purchased a beautiful red & white tank on ebay (and paid dearly!) I figured the tank would be my largest expense. However, after I received the tank I feel overwhelmed with amount of work it would take to complete this bike. Since you guys are F1 owners, do you feel that it would be worth the time, expense, and trouble to complete this bike? Or should I just part it out and start out with a newer bike? Thanks, in advance, for all your responses.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM

Unless you reeaaallly like this bike, then get rid of it and buy a complete/ new one. Parts are not difficult to obtain but plastic usually is. Plastics usually require some sort of repair and paint once you find them. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. In your opinion, would you break it down into parts to sell on ebay or sell as a complete bike, less plastic and headlight, of course? Keep in mind that the engine and transmission are in great condition. I appreciate you input in this matter and hope all of you have a great, yet safe summer!

Respectfully,

Chuck

Old 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Part out is more profitable for sure.

What exactly does the beast need? I bet for around $1000 you could turn it into a REALLY nice fighter.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM

do you have the title for the bike?
it would be a whole lot easier to sell the bike as a whole localy. with a title, i bet you could sell it somewhere in the $700 range.
ebay is flooded with the same adds of random parts for crazy amounts of money. parting out cars/bikes sucks, and take a long time. the only way to move the parts would be way underprice whats already there, and then i still think you'll have a pile of random stuff left over.
i bet for less than $200 you could ride the bike. all you really need is a headlight and speedo... look at streetfighter bikes and see what they've done for a headlight. pretty much adapt different parts, and ride it naked.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Needed to complete the bike would be: upper front fairing, left & right lower fairings, left & right seat side fairings, tail light assembly, headlight assembly, left and right turn signals, front fender, rear swing-arm fender, windshield, exhaust, two new tires, and all bolts, clipes, etc. That pretty much covers it. I do body work on Porsche's for a living, so paint or repair would not be a problem. BTW, being new to the CBR scene. What does a fighter[bike] refer to?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:58 PM

I have applied for the title via a "mechanics lein." However, I am an automobile dealer and have motorcyle dealer tags. So, if I were to keep the bike, a title is not necessary. Also, the last post answered my question concerning a "fighter." Thanks again for your input and I will consider all options.

Chuck

Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Outrun
Needed to complete the bike would be: upper front fairing, left & right lower fairings, left & right seat side fairings, tail light assembly, headlight assembly, left and right turn signals, front fender, rear swing-arm fender, windshield, exhaust, two new tires, and all bolts, clipes, etc. That pretty much covers it. I do body work on Porsche's for a living, so paint or repair would not be a problem. BTW, being new to the CBR scene. What does a fighter[bike] refer to?

Fighter = naked, no fairings

Name:  Cane3.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  107.1 KB

There's an example for you. This shortens / alters your list to the following:

-Tail light assembly ($100)
-Fighter headlight assembly (example) (Example on bike) ($200 all in for a good one + mounting brackets)
-Left and right turn signals ($40)
-Exhaust (I know a kid with a full cobra race exhaust not needing much work, he's had it on portland Craigslist for a few months now) ($150
-Two new tires ($150 from jakewilson.com)
-Missing bolts ($50

Total to fighter the bike:
$690

Not bad really, especially since a big chunk of that is brand new tires. Since you can do custom work, you aughta be able to hide everything you don't want showing!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Great pics and examples! I really do like the idea of turning this bike into a "fighter." I noticed there is a 04-05 HONDA CBR1000 headlight mask on ebay. I don't see any reason that I couldn't make something like this work up front. Airtech has a one piece Super Sport Race tail that would probably look good on this bike, as well. Now I see how it's possible to get 'creative' and design a very unique bike.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM

where are you from?

I have a whole load of plastics in pretty descent condition that i would be willing to send. though I'm in Northern Ireland so postage may be pretty expensive.

I have a 3 piece tail with grab rail (Left, right and the bit at the back)
Both lower side panels
upper front fairing complete with headlight, indicators(not original) and mirrors
tail unit including tail light and indicators
Clocks (clocked to 54000 miles or so)

I also have a rear hugger (mudguard) but its been cut up by the previous owner so don't know if that would be of any use, fits not problem.

Let me know if your interested