CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

wanting to see if anyone could help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting to see if anyone could help

i have a 88 cane 600. i was wanting to know if there is a way to upgrade the brakes front and rear. bigger brake rotors 2 to 4 piston brake calipers. just let me know anything helps thank you.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A newer front end would do it.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM

So like a f2? Will I need to do anything to get it to fit? What about the rear brake?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by uizdustin
So like a f2? Will I need to do anything to get it to fit? What about the rear brake?
From a quick look on AllBallsRacing, a TON of bikes from Honda are a direct swap with the front end.

Fork conversion All ***** Racing

Your bike uses a 26-47-15 on the top bearing and 30-55-17 bottom bearing. So any bike that also uses those bearings for the steering stem would directly swap. If the neck length or something is different - AllBalls won't list it.

If you wanted to use a bike's front end that doesn't quite match up (like a GSXR), you'd need to buy their conversion bearings to make the front end fit (even then it's not that expensive).

I'd recommend finding a bike that is newer, but similar weight and fork length. A GoldWing front end might fit - but I'm not sure that'd be a very productive swap, know what I mean? I'd try to find a 600rr front end or something. Contrary to popular belief, they're not selling for all that much more than a good conditioned older bike (like an F2).

Last edited by Conrice; 07-15-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 AM
Welcome Crew

that is a handy list conrice, +1 with conrice a newer and similar front end.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 PM

I don't want to buy a whole bike. I don't have a lot of money. Where would be a good place to start looking for a front fork. I'll need to buy a rim and everything. If I upgrade can I put a stabilizer like on the newer bike? I am new to bikes I can build a car but need a lot of help with this build will be putting pics soon.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 AM
Welcome Crew

your right you would need a complete front end,stem, clamps,wheel and discs callipers and master cylinder (to match to the callipers), have you thought about an up grade from some one like ISR Brakes or the like, your other option could be calilpers and master cylinders from another bike that has the same mountings, have a search online to see if anything is a direct swap.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:39 AM

I was going to ask if you guys know any parts what could switch over. I am not to hung up on tire size but I want a brake upgrade. The brakes don't feel strong enough and my rotors are shot. Front/rear.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 AM

ISRs would almost require a second mortgage on the house!

ebay and craigslist.

You could just try a newer, bigger master cylinder for the brakes. That with stainless lines and a good bleed would probably do it! ANY 7/8 bar Master Cylinder will fit - that's any sport bike's master. For example, I'm running a Duc 1098 master cylinder on my bike. It's probably a little too big for your bike, but I saw a thread where a 'cane had a 929 M/C on it. Those are only $50 or so on ebay.

Last edited by Conrice; 07-17-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uizdustin
I was going to ask if you guys know any parts what could switch over. I am not to hung up on tire size but I want a brake upgrade. The brakes don't feel strong enough and my rotors are shot. Front/rear.

The Hurricane brakes are pretty good when working properly. You would be money ahead buying a set of used rotors on Ebay, new pads, rebuild the calipers and MC and you should be good to go...and stop.

You could put a ton of money in the other options and since you are new to this you may not even like the bike...just doesn't make dollars and sense IMO.

Quick Reply: wanting to see if anyone could help