CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Start Button Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start Button Problems

Hello. New member but have been reading this forum for a while. I am the owner of a 89 Hurricane with new battery, new rectifier/regulator, fresh plugs. When the start button is depressed the lights dim no click nothing(from research found could possibly be bad solenoid). When the solenoid is crossed bike tries to turn over but still does not start. Kinda tired of spending money/time and I know that there are experts and many people whom have had this same problem. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by brikacid
Hello. New member but have been reading this forum for a while. I am the owner of a 89 Hurricane with new battery, new rectifier/regulator, fresh plugs. When the start button is depressed the lights dim no click nothing(from research found could possibly be bad solenoid). When the solenoid is crossed bike tries to turn over but still does not start. Kinda tired of spending money/time and I know that there are experts and many people whom have had this same problem. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.
i had that issue
if it starts from jumping the relay, you need a new relay
im still chasing a started button no start issue...it cranks but wont start

Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM

just bought new solenoid relay. will repost new findings when it arrives.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocklizzard91
i had that issue
if it starts from jumping the relay, you need a new relay
im still chasing a started button no start issue...it cranks but wont start
Take your kill switch apart, clean the contacts and apply di-electric contact grease to them. Water gets in there and corrods the switch terminals making them have bad connection sometimes.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by tds94probe
Take your kill switch apart, clean the contacts and apply di-electric contact grease to them. Water gets in there and corrods the switch terminals making them have bad connection sometimes.
but if i push start it, it starts right up
thats the kicker
it just wont electric start

Old 10-23-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by rocklizzard91
but if i push start it, it starts right up
thats the kicker
it just wont electric start
hes talking about the op's situation. Your killswitch is fine since you can push start it. you have a weak battery or bad connections somewhere because your voltage is dropping low while cranking.

But to the op my bet is your on the right treck with a new starter solenoid.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM

put solenoid on and replaced every fuse. Start button is now working. have gotten backfires and attempted starts. I think it has sat for so long the battery is bad. Pretty happy about the attempted starts its been 5 months since it even did that.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by brikacid
put solenoid on and replaced every fuse. Start button is now working. have gotten backfires and attempted starts. I think it has sat for so long the battery is bad. Pretty happy about the attempted starts its been 5 months since it even did that.
Gotta love progress huh? so it must be getting spark and some fuel. Charge the battery up and spray a little starting fluid under the air filter if shes still being stubborn. Is the gas 5 months old?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Put new gas in. Came through the filter copper looking. Rust sux. Put Seafoam in drained it. more new gas. Now its acting like it wants to start(low rumbles) then nothing. Get paid friday going to buy a new battery. After this purchase and no luck, does anyone want to buy a hurricane in Texas?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 AM

low rumbles means youre close.
if your fuel was rust colored youre probably going to need to clean the carbs. not hard. ive never worked on a bike and did mine a few weeks ago in a couple hours.

when youre starting, reach down and put your hand on the fuel pump and feel if it does some pulsing. if you are, you know its got fuel (at least in the lines)
then pull a plug and ground it to see if you have spark.

Quick Reply: Start Button Problems