CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Riding w/ choke on

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding w/ choke on

So this is my bike, just fabbed up a midpipe for the yoshi can.

Name:  DSC03057.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  48.6 KB

Now the bike rides about the same as it did with the stock can, although when cruising, it likes to pop and spit out a flame on decel. It's just more noticable with the yoshi can. When I turn the choke barely on when i'm riding, it pulls harder, and rides better. Can I just leave my choke on a little bit, then just adjust the idle so instead of 2500rpms (with choke on) i can lower it to 1200ish.

Or would it be better to somehow cover up part of the filter so not as much air goes in?

Is it bad to ride with the choke cracked open if it rides better?

I don't want to pull it apart to rejet it.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 AM

Shouldn't ride with the choke always on. You would be better to add some restriction if you really don't want to rejet.

I would double check to make sure you don't have any air leaks that are leaning it out.

KongBastard

Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 AM

riding with the chokes on sounds like its lean, big blue flame out the exhaust sounds like its rich. popping on decel means carbs arn't sync'd. pull your plugs and see if some are black, and some are white. i bet you have a carb(s) that is obstructed causing a cylinder(s) to be lean. thats why you have to ride with the choke on. the other cylinder(s) are now way to rich, causing the flame. or they are just WAY out of sync.

does your bike have the emissions controls?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

I believe the emission control stuff was all taken off/plugged by the previous owner.

Well, it only shoots flames/pops/gurgles when the choke is off, when it is on it doesn't.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM

thats kinda weird.
as kong bastard mentioned, look for vacume leaks. i would make sure everything is plugged if the emissions equipment was removed.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM

seems that everything is indeed plugged and I couldn't find any leaks (sprayed carb cleaner around everything).

so what do you guys think? If the choke is barely on, does that let a tad more fuel in? Basically it runs absolutly perfect when the choke is barely on, but because of that the idle is 2000rpm. Is it safe to just lower the idle via the idle screw till its lower, and cruise around with the choke barely cracked?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM

Try looking at your pilot circuit. Maybe richen your pilots.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM

choke on add more fuel, something is definately up with pilot circuit. either too small of jets or clogged jets.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM

maybe ill try running seafoam through it? So like i said, would it hurt to have the choke barely cracked open and lower my idle screw?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could but that is really not a long term solution and not even a very good short term one at that. the problem here is that even if you were to lower your idle and ride around with the choke on, you will have fueling problems at higher rpms and various air temps. my best guess is there may be a problem with the idle circuit part of the carbs. at much as i hate to say it and as much as you hate to hear it, you will need to have the carbs cleaned out or torn down and rebuilt. your problem is only going to get worse if you leave the choke on while riding. the fueling will be sub-optimal especially now that you are running a more open exhaust.

Quick Reply: Riding w/ choke on