CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Rear brake adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009 | 04:47 AM
|
Default Rear brake adjustment?

I've noticed my rear brakes are softer than normal and are starting to get softer as the weeks go on. Is there a way to adjust the rear brakes so I don't have to push down so hard to get them to engage? I haven't noticed any leaks and my fluid levels haven't dropped.

Old 07-20-2009 | 11:10 AM

bleed your brake line or get new pads.

Old 07-20-2009 | 01:00 PM
|

rear pads are pretty damn new as is the rotor as the previous owner replaced it at the dealer before I took ownership. I figure I would just bleed the whole line.

Old 07-20-2009 | 01:17 PM

use your front brakes more as thats how its intended on sportbikes.

Old 07-20-2009 | 05:04 PM

Well yeah, playful god has a point. Rear brakes are supposed to be pretty weak anyway. I kinda thought maybe you saw a huge difference. Don't get too worried about it. rear brakes are fairly useless anyway lol.

Old 07-20-2009 | 09:48 PM
|

I use my fronts mostly anyways. The reason why I want to adjust my rear is so when I am on a hill I am not pushing down as hard just to get the brakes to hold me in place.

Old 07-20-2009 | 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Measuredpath
I use my fronts mostly anyways. The reason why I want to adjust my rear is so when I am on a hill I am not pushing down as hard just to get the brakes to hold me in place.
Bleed em and/or adjust the brake lever.

Old 07-21-2009 | 02:17 AM
|

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Bleed em and/or adjust the brake lever.
Sorry to be blunt, but I did ASK how to adjust the rear brakes in my post. That is the whole point of this thread. I know I can always bleed brakes, but I've never adjusted the rear brakes on a bike.

If anyone would care to offer as to how one would go about it that would be much appreciate. Any other suggestions don't bother

Last edited by Measuredpath; 07-21-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2009 | 04:20 PM

I think the brakes are self adjusting, but your pad might be glazed and need spraying with some brake cleaner.

I have the same problem when it gets super hot outside, the rear brake gets a little soft.

Id also check your rear disk the service limit is 4mm or 0.16in for the rear.

Old 07-21-2009 | 06:36 PM

The reason no one has told you how to "adjust" the rear brakes is because there is no adjustment for the rear brakes. They are disc brakes not drums so there is nothing to do.

You can however adjust the angle of the brake pedal which can make it seem like you are not pressing as hard. If you set it so it sits higher, that will help. Be careful to not set it too high as your foot will ride the pedal and cause the brakes to over heat.

The hotter the rear brakes get the more they will fade and the harder you will have to press on the pedal to get the same stopping effect. They are light duty so if you use thema lot they will overheat quickly.

You can also change the fluid, lubricate the pins the carriers ride on, change to a braided line or just replace the line with a stock item.

Unless the line has been replaced in the past it is old enough to be getting weak and soft which has a huge effect on braking effectiveness.

KongBastard

Quick Reply: Rear brake adjustment?