CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Proping it up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proping it up

I've got to do some dreaded matenince. Fork seals, chain etc. I was wondering whats the easyiest way to prop the bike up? I've looked at a few jacks, but none seem to fit it right. I'm trying to avoid taking the fairings off.
I was thinking of putting a beam across my sheds roof. And using some tie down straps to hoist it up? I was wondering whats the best places to pick it from? Can i pick it up from under the seat?
Or is there a better way?

Any help is appreciated, thx guys!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

Trying to work on a sport bike and not remove the fairings is like trying to work on a car engine without opening the hood. It's a damn easy process, and if you find that daunting, you surely aren't cut out to rebuild your own forks!

A rear swing arm stand from harbor freight - $40 shipped. Makes cleaning and oiling your chain a breeze. YOu should own one anyways if you plan on sticking with motorcycles that don't have spools.

With the swing arm supported, then you just gotta support the front end. Here is where you've got to get creative. I'm lucky enough to have an ATV stand, however it requires removing the exhaust to properly use. In your case, you can jack the bike up by the motor (the oil pan will take it) and have the swing arm supported by the rear stand you should buy anyways. Balance the bike and take some weight off of it with the tie down to the cieling technique you were considering. Once you remove the front wheel this process will become significantly easier as the weight will be more balanced towards the center, and the bike won't feel as likely to pitch forward. With the forks off it'll become even easier!

Again, this all requires removing your fairings. The only way around it requires purchasing a front stand with the pin set that goes into the frame, and I'm not even sure this bike is setup for it. I should find out though as I've got a proper front stand!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 AM

The reason im trying to get around removing the fairings, is because thier in terrible shape. I've got a few zip ties, a few spots where I've welded them. I guess it's inevitable because I'm going to have to when I change the front sprocket.
I've taken pretty good care of my chain, it's still the original and it has 79000kms on it. (49088.3 miles) The fork seals just decided to leak over the winter for what ever reason.

Maybe I could track down a center stand, does anyone know if the stand is the same on another honda model?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Banned

Ahhh, well maybe it's time to remove the fairings and properly repair and repaint them!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 AM

The center stand was an option for this model. You should be able to order it throught the dealership.
If you do a search through this section it has been broken down by part numbers and prices before. Cheers.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM

I hoisted mine up by running a nylon strap through the tripple tree and hooked it to a come-along (one of those cable hand winches). I hung it from the rafters much like you described. I put some ratched straps on for back-up.

I lifted the rear wheel off the ground with a swing-arm style stand.

I was able to remove both wheels and both forks. Make sure the straps are in a good spot that will allow you to pull out the forks without dropping the bike.