CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/)
-   -   Project: Father and Son Rebuild (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/project-father-son-rebuild-146361/)

robhbest 09-10-2014 08:23 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28352

Attachment 28353

Attachment 28354

Attachment 28355

Attachment 28356

Attachment 28357

Attachment 28358

I'm not sure why in this pic it looks like a huge dent in the tank but I assure you its not there!!

dennisgb 09-10-2014 09:48 AM

Nice!! What paint did you use? It looks like a satin white.

One trick I use when prepping for paint when you need to do body work is to paint it with a gloss paint when you think it's right. It will show up any small imperfections you can't feel with your hands...then you can work those spots or add filler. Glazing putty is also a real handy product. It can be spread smooth across a broad area to smooth out the tiny surface changes.

I'm a freakin' perfectionist tho. Yours looks great. It will be so much fun when you start putting it together. Putting the body back on is the best. Keep up the good work.

Make sure you consider a 2 part epoxy top coat at least on the tank. Eastwood makes a rattle can product that works awesome and goes on great. They now have satin and flat clears too. Check it out. You don't want gas on your fresh paint job without protection.

robhbest 09-10-2014 10:12 AM

Thanks Dennis!

No paint yet. Just some high build primer right now.

We've been complete perfectionists about it all too. These plastics are so fragile. Once something gets fixed to our satisfaction something else comes up. Not really surprised with plastics that are 25 years old!

For the paint we're doing a standard BC/CC in a color called Summit White.

Doc B. 09-10-2014 04:31 PM

Wow, what a huge amount of care going into that work. I had started to piece together the stock fairing bits for my 90 and gave up after the buying seat fairing parts, which had the usual broken tabs. I was going to plastic weld new tabs made from ABS coat hangers before I gave up and went with the RR conversion, but your reconstruction work looks way more stout.

+1 on the 2K rattle can. You don't realize how important it is until you wipe off the other paint you laid on when mopping up after a gas or brake fluid spill. The 2K handles both of those very well as long as you don't let the fluid sit on it overnight. My caliper paint comes right off with brake fluid and the VHT chassis and rollbar paint I was thinking was so tough bubbled up under a fuel spill this week. The 2K has stood up to both of them just fine, with only a little dulling of it where I missed a spot of brake fluid overnight.

robhbest 09-11-2014 07:30 AM

I have a 2 part base coat but it's not in a rattle can, I'll have to use a HFLP spray gun. Do you think it's going to be ok?

Thanks Doc in this area i've seen 2 other F1's. One looks completely factory original and the other has had a rough life. Bringing her back to life with most of the original plastics has been a challenge and i'm honestly glad it's almost over!!

dennisgb 09-11-2014 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by robhbest (Post 1280551)
I have a 2 part base coat but it's not in a rattle can, I'll have to use a HFLP spray gun. Do you think it's going to be ok?

Thanks Doc in this area i've seen 2 other F1's. One looks completely factory original and the other has had a rough life. Bringing her back to life with most of the original plastics has been a challenge and i'm honestly glad it's almost over!!

Not sure if you meant "base" coat. 2 part clear "finish" coat is what we are talking about. If this is what you meant that is better than rattle can. If you don't do this type of painting much be sure you have a good quality filter mask with approved filters...two part epoxy paints contain dangerous organic volitiles. Ventilate area (fans), and get out of there as soon as you get the stuff laid down. Let the area vent well before you go back in...unless you have a good paint booth with high output fans. Just be careful.

I have a second bike from the conversion I am doing that will be all original plastics. I have bought better plastics when I see them at the right price...I now have two full sets of plastics and almost one additional set. I have 4 nice front fairings. Probably will sell off some of the parts once I put the second bike together...or maybe the third one will be an original too...haven't decided yet. It takes time to find good parts that don't cost a million dollars.

robhbest 09-11-2014 03:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up! We've done several cars before, first time doing a motorcycle. I'll post pics as they come along!!

robhbest 09-15-2014 11:35 AM

16 Attachment(s)
Here you go, got everything assembled! Couldn't be happier with the results.

Attachment 28328

Attachment 28329

Attachment 28330

Attachment 28331

Attachment 28332

Attachment 28333

Attachment 28334

Attachment 28335

Attachment 28336

Attachment 28337

Attachment 28338

Attachment 28339

Attachment 28340

Attachment 28341

Attachment 28342

And one happy CBR owner

Attachment 28343

Not much to do from here, ride it and enjoy it. It's a new feeling riding it with all the plastics back on, feels a lot less mechanical, more smooth and much quieter going down the road.

I still want to do a few minor things but for now she's going to see some street time, thanks for looking!

Doc B. 09-15-2014 12:08 PM

Beautiful work. Congrats!

dennisgb 09-15-2014 04:49 PM

Looks awesome! You did that fast. Wasn't it just the other day we were looking at parts in primer? Paint looks great. Bike does too. You guys should be proud to put another F1 back on the road...and a really nice one to boot.