CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

NEWBIE! questions about bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE! questions about bike

HI! i just acquired a 87 honda (cbr600f)hurricane from a buddy of mine that owed me $400. i have looked at a ton ofstuff on the internetabout this bike. i know what the performance mods are. iknow my plans for it. but i gota couple questions about it.

1. it runs great at idle. but sometimes it takes it a min to start. i am going to clean the carbs and do a full tune up and replace fuel filter. i hope this will fix the problem.

2. when you rev it up, it goes fine to 5k(has some hesitation), then stutters and pops. you can get it to go up the rest of the way by SLOWLY twisting the throttle, but it studders the whole way up. for one, sounds like a fuel issue. BUT, the bike has a vance and hines slip on and stock airbox drilled with a ton of 3/4" holes. could it be leaning out and thats why it pops? needs a jet kit? orrr, could the carbs need to be synced? or just the whole system cleaned?

3. theres a guy that will charge me $100 to clean and rebuild the carbs, sonic clean them, and set the floats. hes also going to charge me $60 to sync the carbs. does this sound like a fair rate?

4. on this site http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodh01.html what exactly does the SHFT-EVO-H01 Shift STAR Upgrade, Ignition Advancer Timing Kit, and trans detent arm do?...... i would like to purchase those, and a sprocket kit, if its worth the money.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Default RE: NEWBIE! questions about bike

How long has the bike been sitting? Fresh gas , an oil change and check the air cleaner... One of my $300.00 parts bikes had enough mouse **** and dog food stored in the airbox and exhaust that when it finally started it blew a cloud of debris out and a big stain on the wall behind the bike! I almost made a stain myself.
That bike had the airbox drilled out and ran really rich...

Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 AM

well. im not sure as of the history. i know the 2 owners ago, the engine was changed to one with lower miles. him and the previous owner are buddies, 2nd guy rode the bike, layed it over. the other guy made him buy it. my friend that i got it off of had it for about 4 months, i saw him ride it once.... before that i dont know.

im trying to run the gas out now, but i have to fix the coolant leak issue first.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 AM

There is a product called Seafoam that you might try to mix with the gas. It is the most effective "tune up" in a can I've found. Nothing will replace actually pulling the carbs, cleaning them and then synchronizing them. If you are mechanicaly inclined there is a manual for the bike posted in the forum... Otherwise pay the man and get them done.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's about the going rate for those jobs. However, if you are at all capable of performing them yourself, I would hightly suggest it. With a manual and the appropriate tools it will cost you much less and also allow you to do future maintenance.

My 87 has a V&H SS2R on it which is the 2nd exhaust I have had on the bike. It does bog down a bit in mid or real high RPMs and I do know the carbs needs to be synced and have been recently cleaned.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM

well, this sounds almost as if its a rev limit at 5. if you give it full gas it will completely die. if you give it full gas off of idle, it will die also.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 AM

Try the seafoam... add some to the fuel , let the bike run long enough to make sure the treated fuel is in the carbs and then let it sit overnight. Start the bike and see if it makes any difference. It sounds like your carbs are dirty.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM

When I was dumb enough to take my bike to a shop to have the carbs cleaned, a day or two later when I was riding, it began acting real sporatic and was idling fine at a light, then it just died mid-intersection. Turns out jet #3 fell out into the float bowl. I now never go to shops.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM

i put seafoam in it, but i have yet to get it started. sometimes it takes forever. but if i jump it off of big battery, it starts right up. i just put a new battery in it. its defiantely getting gas, i smell gas as im turning it over. maybe its jetted already but there too big. or maybe the carbs are just dirty.

i need to getplugs and wires.

what is the part # off the plugs you suggest? i want to get them soon. how much would wires cost at a honda dealership?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Quick Reply: NEWBIE! questions about bike