CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Newbie mistake, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie mistake, please help!

Hi,
I recently bought a 1990 hurricane with 9500 miles. It has been stored for about 3 years and does not run. The previous owner took it to the local Honda shop and they gave him and invoice of what they say needs to be done. I have the invoice. The only substantial thing is rebuilding the carbs. (The other items were things like a $60 oil change[/b].) He said they got it started, but it ran rough due to the carbs.
It did not come with a battery and I was short on cash, so I made the idiotic mistake of connecting a 2 amp charger to the lead wires to see if it would run. (FEEL FREE TO FLAME ME FOR THAT ONE!!!) When I turned the key on it clicked loudly so I immediately turned it off.
After I got a battery, all the lights and gauges work but it would not start. All the fuses I can find seem to be fine. If I spray starting fluid in the intake it will start for about 1 second and die. After finding CBRforums I became suspicious of the fuel pump or voltage regulator being blown because the pump does not make a light clicking sound when the key is turned on.
I disconnected one of the fuel lines coming out of the pump. With the key on, nothing happens. When I press the start button, fuel comes out. I then tested the voltage coming into the fuel pump. With the key on it goes to about 1.5 volts and then to 0. When the start button is pressed the voltage jumps to around 10. (It is inconsistent.) If I connect the battery directly to the fuel pump, it clicks lightly. This leads me to believe that the fuel pump is o.k.
Next, I bought a regulator off Ebay. I just installed it today and everything is exactly the same. I know that I screwed something up, but I have no idea what!
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-daniel

Old 02-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Default RE: Newbie mistake, please help!

A dead battery will make a clicking sound, sounds to me like you're just not getting enough power to the start the engine.

Buy a battery and then check things.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 PM

I have been using a brand new, fully charged battery.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Your hurricane has a fuel pump? But the f2's don't?? Thats wierd. If the carbs need cleaned it may not start at all until you get that done. I would also try changing the plugs.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are gonna want to get those carbs cleaned, as well as replace the plugs and fuel if you have not already. i let my bike sit too long over the winter and couldnt get it to start. changed the fuel and plugs and she fired right up. also inspect your fuel tank for rust if its been sitting.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

The spark plugs are new (I should have mentioned).
Am I correct about expecting to hear the fuel pump when I first turn the key on?
Are there any other sensors or relays that I should look into?

-thanks

Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Have you tried looking ate all your fuses to see if they are all intact? Including the ones that are located near the battery itself? They should be opposite to your fuel petcock.

Also try running the bike without the pump. I had mine run in gravity feed mode for about a year and it worked well enough.

bryan d

Old 02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuel pump should click. are you actually hearing it click or feeling it? i cant hear mine, only if i put my hand on it i feel it click. like bryan said, check your fuses including the main fuse on top of the solenoid. how does it sound when you are trying to turn it over, is it attempting to turn over and just not getting their, or are you merely hearing a loud click? if so, is the click really coming from your fuel pump or is it coming from the solenoid?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:15 PM

While we're on the topic of batteries..

When my bike runs with little battery (not enough to turn over the starter), it makes clicking and the tach rises. Whats that about?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM

When the startersolenoid dies, the only thing it does is click.

Try jumping the solenoid posts with a screw driver.

Turn the key and bar switch torun, jump the solenoid terminals with a screw driver and see if the starter turns over..

Ifthe starter turns over using thisproceedureyou have a bad starter solenoid.

Quick Reply: Newbie mistake, please help!