CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

new fuel pump, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new fuel pump, now what?

ok check it, I put a new fuel pump on my cane cause the old one didn't work. Tried to start it up and still nothing. Plugs are not that old cause I changed them a while back and have not been riding since. It seems as if its not getting gas to the carbs cause when I pour gas straight into the carbs it runs till the gas burns out. fiter is also not the problem. Can anybody help with this problem, and if you think its the voltage regulator(as seems to be the problem with a lot of these for some reason) please tell me where it is and how I go about checking and fixing this.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new fuel pump, now what?

well, im not sure, but the reg/rec is directly in front below the battery. if you dont have a manual, i can scan the pages in for you to test it.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Are you sure your petcock is open? I've heard of them malfunctioning.
After I had the tank off mine this winter, I had to turn it over with the starter A LOT before it got enough fuel to run. I totally drained the battery once. The pump doesn't seem to do much. I couldn't even tell when/if it was running.
I've heard a drop or two of oil in the cylinder helps with intake if the bike's been sitting, too.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a petcock or maybe carb problem, you clean and synch the carbs yet?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:58 PM

carbs are clean and petcock is fine. Just found out that pump is working but not pumping. did a little somethinto it but didn't get a chance to test it yet. When I do I'll come back with results and hopefully not more questions. lol

Old 06-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Unplug the incoming line to the fuel pump and plug in a funnel or something to feed fuel to the fuel pump. That should help determine if it is upstream (tank, petcock, etc) or not.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:51 AM

try the fuel pump relay. i just had the same problem with my 88 hurricane. i thought it was the pump and it ended up being the relay. also as dumb as it sounds, make sure the lines went back on the proper spots on the fuel pump.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Connect the hose from the tank to the pump, and turn on the petcock.

Take a length of fuel line / hose and connect it to the carb side of the pump and run that line to a clear plastic cup.

Turn the ignition on and hit the starter button.

You should get a measurable about of fuel into the plastic cup each time you hit the starter.

If you get no fuel pumped into the cup,switch the fuel lines on the pump and try it again.

My new fuel pump had a black dot on the pump at the hose connection end indicating the output to the carbs.

good luck

Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 AM

You don't need the pump at all to run the bike. Not even to start it. My bike sputtered bad, shut down would only barely start with the choke fully on. Took the pump totally out, reconnected the lines, drove the bike home 8 miles. It did shut off 2 more times (found out it had bad fuel in it). It is a gravity feed system, pump may prime the carbs at startup and keep pressure going under hard turns, but the bike can be ridden without it. I would take the tank off, get rid of all the gas in it, get a new filter (I bought one same basic size at a local auto store, not a Honda one) pull the petcock, make sure its clean, fill her up with fresh 93 ( I even put some 108 concentrated booster in with mine) She fired right up and runs unbelievable.

Brian

Old 06-24-2007, 02:56 PM

thanks for the input fellas. I'll try out all of those suggestions.

Quick Reply: new fuel pump, now what?