CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Mirror Rubber Boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror Rubber Boots

Hello

I just bought a 1990 CBR600 and I am working to get it looking a bit better. The bike runs great, but needs some body work. Is it possible to remove the rubber boots from the mirrors without cutting them? The bike is all black and the boots were originally white and the black paint is flaking off. I can see that the mirror can be removed from the stem if the glass is take out. Is there a trick to getting the glass out of the housing so the whole thing can be disassembled?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 PM

I've heard that some hot water and patience will get the mirrors off of the mounting plate.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 PM

the mirror should be mounted on a ball type push in socket. you "should" be able to pop it loose, so get to the internals. don't quote me on this, this is only my assumption of how it works. and i'm not willing to try it on mine since mirrors are so hard to find.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Are there any replacement mirrors available that someone could suggest? I don't want to do anything risky if I am going to end up mirrorless. I would rather take my time and figure out a good solution to the problem, including dying the rubber if I can get it off, but I need some sort of mirrors in the meantime.

Any suggestions on some aftermarket mirrors?

Thanks again

Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM

I have had pretty decent luck painting mine, and yes I know how crazy that sounds. I think it is krylon that makes it, but I used the H2O paint they have, which is latex paint. comes out weird when you apply it but looks good from a few feet away. and being latex it seems to stick and flex well. the hardest part iss getting the mirrors mounted back up afterwards without peeling the paint off. next time I will mask off the bike real well and paint the boots while still mounted. I went all last year and never had an issue but couldn't get them to remount this year without peeling the paint off when I folded the rubber back getting at the bolts. could be the paint was a year old. only reason I was redoing them was they got marked up in storage over the winter. I will try and remember to get pics today

Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Banned

Holy Necro Bump Batman! With that said I am thinking I can drill a hole through the boots and drive a tapered head bolt through to mount the painted mirrors?

Is there another way to do this without cracking the paint off? When i tried to move the boots the paint started cracking so I don't want it repainted after I mount them so this is my only idea. I was thinking of tapping them and boring out the cowl braket to mount from the inside also.

What do you guys think?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 90 F1, specifically. But, you should be able to un-bolt from
the fairing's main-stay mounting point and slide the boots off from that end.

That's how the F3 is set-up, and I would think if you have a rubber boot surrounding
the stem, it should be similar.

Good luck, Ern

Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
I'm not familiar with the 90 F1, specifically. But, you should be able to un-bolt from
the fairing's main-stay mounting point and slide the boots off from that end.

That's how the F3 is set-up, and I would think if you have a rubber boot surrounding
the stem, it should be similar.

Good luck, Ern
Mine is the CBR1000f but I think this is the same type setup. I ended up peeling the boot back and destroying the paint as I decided if I modded the cowling frame then aftermarket mirrors would force me to re-weld the nuts back in and it seemed like to much of a pita when I wanted to get this thing on the road today!