CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

low speed gurgle/pilot screw adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low speed gurgle/pilot screw adjustment?

hey guys. I have noticed that in low speed ( like in traffic or heading out a gas station etc) I am getting a popping or a gurgle. I have a jet kit from the PO, and everything else seems to be running pretty decent. not knowing where to set the pilot screws I just set them at stock. should I be turning them out 1/2 turn? I don't have a tach to adjust each one perfect, so I was just wondering what the usual is when you have a jet kit. thanks guys!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 AM

You can try the idle drop procedure for setting the pilot screws. Do a search on the site for the post that documents it.

Also check that you are not idling too low.

KongBastard

Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 AM

I think that prcedure means you need to hook up an aftermarket tach that measures 50rpm accurately, right?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by cbreric
I think that prcedure means you need to hook up an aftermarket tach that measures 50rpm accurately, right?
No. Just use your ear.

You basically set the idle lower than normal and turn the screw in or out until you have the fastest idle. eg Slowly turn the screw out until the idle starts to drop lower then turn the screw in until the idle goes past the best speed, then set the screw in the middle.

It is pretty accurate.

KongBastard

Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM

whats the normal starting point for them with a jet kit?

Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 AM

I would stick with the normal 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out to start.

KongBastard

Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 AM

thanks

Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 AM

you need a pilot screw driver to do the idle drop. I don't have one and just adjust them off the bike.

A jet kit just gives you the ability to adjust your mixture, It doesn't change your mixture unless you change adjustments. Do you use stock filter or K&N? Do you have stock headers and stock pipe? Those are the things that require a jet kit because they change the flow of air and now you need to change the flow of fuel with the adjustable jets.

I have a K&N with stock headers and pipe and my pilot screws are somewhere around 2.75 turns out. If you hear backfire popping, you are lean and probably need to turn yours out which allows more fuel into the low RPM mix. If you don't have a pilot screwdriver, you can just adjust them off the bike in quarter turn increments. This isn't as accurate is the idle drop method but its sufficient.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM

I have a kn filter, drilled airbox lid, stock header, and a vance and hines slipon. everything else has been adjusted away from stock, just that I reset the pilot screws to stock as a starting point. thanks! also, I have a real long and small screwdriver that works when adjusting the pilot screws. thanks again

Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 PM

your pilots should be closer to 2.75 as well. maybe more... Not sure about it with the drilled air box.

On another note, I have heard nothing but bad things with attempting to modify an airbox. How has that worked out?

Quick Reply: low speed gurgle/pilot screw adjustment?