CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Low battery voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I've purchased from this place before when doing the GSX/R R/R upgrade on my F3's. Very reasonable pricing and good communication from them.

Motorcycle Connectors

The following users liked this post:
Al1040 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ll definitely take a look of the one I bought is no good!

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I've purchased from this place before when doing the GSX/R R/R upgrade on my F3's. Very reasonable pricing and good communication from them.

Motorcycle Connectors

Old 05-12-2021, 02:11 PM

ended up using that site. A bit expensive. £15 for 2 connectors and P&P.

anyways, I’m too impatient so I just did the test. Idle is 20-25v, 3000rpm is 35v and 5000rpm is 55v.

I’m so frustrated. I just want to ride the bike!!!! I’ve had it for weeks... it’s been out of service for most of that time now.

Motorcycle Connectors

Old 05-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

OK, well it seems the Stator is working properly. There are 2 devices for charging the battery. Stator generates electricity, and the R/R regulates it. I'm still going with the R/R being bad.

BTW, did you communicate with them to ensure you were getting the correct connector and pins? If you're replacing both the Male and Female connectors, then it doesn't make any difference.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:09 PM

im replacing both male and female. It comes as a set. I think I’ll just purchase the R/R and take the hit. If it’s not that, I then have a spare!

i have to wait for the connectors to come from America so that could take a couple weeks. Sigh....

I miss riding and the weather has been fairly good, I hope the new RR fixes it.

OK, well it seems the Stator is working properly. There are 2 devices for charging the battery. Stator generates electricity, and the R/R regulates it. I'm still going with the R/R being bad.

BTW, did you communicate with them to ensure you were getting the correct connector and pins? If you're replacing both the Male and Female connectors, then it doesn't make any difference.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:10 PM

the new R/R on Electrex goes straight to the battery. Is it ok to leave the red/green wired connector unplugged as it would be once I fit the new model?

Old 05-12-2021, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Liam Kemsley
the new R/R on Electrex goes straight to the battery. Is it ok to leave the red/green wired connector unplugged as it would be once I fit the new model?
I'm sorry, I'm not following what you're asking. So the one you're purchasing doesn't use the existing connectors? If that's the case, then yes I think it would be ok to leave disconnected. Maybe cover the ends to prevent it from coming into contact with anything and shorting out.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:37 PM

The new design RR plugs into the stator but not the other connector. It has the rings which connect to the battery terminals. I think I’ll tape off the other connector. I’m pretty sure the RR comes with all connectors including stator too... should have it by Friday. I hope. Can’t wait to see if my bike works!

I'm sorry, I'm not following what you're asking. So the one you're purchasing doesn't use the existing connectors? If that's the case, then yes I think it would be ok to leave disconnected. Maybe cover the ends to prevent it from coming into contact with anything and shorting out.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

After it's all connected, putting your meter across the battery to measure DC volts is an easy way to know. Anything from 13.5v to 15v DC is good.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:20 PM

It would need to run at a minimum of 13.5v with the headlights on IMO?

id prefer 13.5v at idle and up to 15 with revs. I also can’t have the voltage dropping to 11.8v at idle with the fan on!

After it's all connected, putting your meter across the battery to measure DC volts is an easy way to know. Anything from 13.5v to 15v DC is good.

Quick Reply: Low battery voltage