CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Not that you're not welcome Randy, but did anyone else notice? Though I suppose the advice so far is good for all models.
I am not sure why I am not welcome, is this forum not for honda hurricane owners.
I had a combo of problems which are now fixed. 4 jets were clogged and the muffler did not have enough disc on. Not only that the tank is not near as hot now that the bike is running smooth.
But anyway please advise me why I would not be welcome and i will gladly leave. But any way thanks for all the input it help.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not at all - glad you're bike's fixed but just for the record - this section is generally frequented by owners of 1000F, not the 600F - the advice is however given freely to any and all who cross our portal and holds true for the 600F - the problem and resultant advice would I think be good for any Honda with carbs..............
The 600F is generally covered in the 600F1 section which I'm sure you can find if the need ever arises - you are however most welcome to hang out with us reprobates who have the 1000F.
You will however need a sense of humour as the "boys" can be inclined to "haze" new members (in the nicest possible way) so don't take offense - just give as good as you get and you'll be fine.

WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM, RANDY ! BRING YOUR OWN STRAITJACKET PLEASE - :EEK:

And yes, I noticed Randy has a 600F - Didn't bother to reroute to the 600F1 section - as same advice holds true.(and here he gets solid advice, timeously)

Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Randygus
I am not sure why I am not welcome, is this forum not for honda hurricane owners.
But anyway please advise me why I would not be welcome and i will gladly leave. But any way thanks for all the input it help.
In no way are we wishing to make you make feel unwelcome Randy, we are all more than pleased to help any motorcycle owners out with any technical advice we can provide (even Harley owners).

Although, now I come to think about it, I don't ever recall a Harley owner ever logging in here and asking for advice.

The point is that you will find more specialized, freely given advice in the 600 section for your particular bike.

Cheers
TK

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 AM

Thx all I did not realize I was posting in the 1000. I am newbie looks like I am a guy with a little bike trying to hang with big boys.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not at all at all !
Those 600F's go like s....t off a shovel too, you're most welcome here.
Put up some pics of your bike now that you're able to...............
It seems you've arrived,.........................note title change

Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM

Bike was spray painted black. Me and my boys wet sanded it back to original. still have a few small parts left to do

K&N filter-photo-12-.jpgK&N filter-photo-14-.jpg

Attached Thumbnails K&N filter-photo-13-.jpg  

Last edited by Sprock; 10-04-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: moved to 600 section
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I noticed, I just assumed he came to the old farts for the correct advice before he got misled by the stunters.
:icon_laug h:

Bike was spray painted black. Me and my boys wet sanded it back to original. still have a few small parts left to do

Attachment 20466Attachment 20464
I like!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Nice bike did u ever figure it out like everyone else mentioned most likely dirty filter or jets need to be cleaned when I bought my bike had k&n on it ran perfect with standard jets but when upgraded to full yoshi decided to get stage one just installed stage two this weekend but good luck

Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM

I have 88 600 the pervious owner put a k&n filter on but did not jet carbs. Bike will not idle below 2000 for more than minute. I am thinking its because of the filter. Taking it off it runs good.

Next any way to stop the heat on the tank.
I would bet the problem is either dirty or out of sync carbs, or both. Possibly just an idle speed adjustment, but I doubt it. Typically when the center sync adjustment gets out of whack and the two carbs on either side start drawing in too much air compared to the other two the idle will become high & erratic like that. Adjusting the idle down to the point that it stops creeping up usually causes the engine to die when hot.

I've been through this a few times with my bike when the carbs get out of sync and the idle starts to creep. You'll have to sync the carbs after cleaning them anyway, so you might try that first (sync) and see if it helps the problem before pulling the whole assembly out of the bike and tearing them apart.

As far as the heat on the tank I don't really have any good ideas for that.. these bikes tend to run hot in general and all that air gets directed out right around your legs & the tank area. It doesn't bother me much now since I always wear full leathers, but that's about the only solution I've found that actually works

Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TahoeRider

As far as the heat on the tank I don't really have any good ideas for that.. these bikes tend to run hot in general and all that air gets directed out right around your legs & the tank area.
On my rides to work in the morning I see ice on the sides on the sides of the road. The heat is welcome.

Quick Reply: K&N filter