Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: jetting and high speed

Im eager to hear your results Dalex.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM

Unfortunately, I didn't get them. The azzhats at the shop quoted me at $3 each on the phone and when I went to pick them up they wanted to charge $5.99+tx each. I smiled and walked away. I think I'll just order a few sets from DynoJet and have them delivered, will surely take another week or so before I get them.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM

no worries man.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 AM

Gogar,

I had an idea today that may be right or complete BS. Since I'm using Dynojet needles (thinner then stock) maybe instead of going up a jet size I need to go down a few sizes? Because the stage 1 application calls for either DJ98s or 102s (KJ100 or 105s). I was thinking that if maybe the needles are flowing more fuel, then maybe my jet size is to high for my modifications? It's really wierd because stage 2 jets are equivelent to KJ127.5 and 132.5!! Thats one heck of jump between the stage 1 kit and stage 2 kit. Today I got it up to speed and pulled the choke lever in at different positions. I honestly noticed zero difference except for the full choke position where it felt like it started to bog. Sometimes I wonder if those guys at Dynojet really know what there doing? I have the DJ98 in my toolbox yet. I would love to try them out again but thought of ripping the carbs out makes me think twice because I hate doing things twice when I'm wrong.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Well, All I can say is that if

1. You have the intake freed up with your K&N, etc.
2. You have headers and a free-flow muffler,
3. You're using DJ needles at "stage2" position,

For all these mods DJ would recommend DJ 120s or 124s.

BUT You're using (what is similar to) DJ 105s, scarcely bigger than stock jets. I think there's absolutely no way in the world you're running rich. I still think you should spend $8 and buy some DJ 120s, 122s, or 124s. If I can find my 124s, I'll mail them to you. I probably won't ever need them at my altitude. Maybe send me a PM or an email or something.

And yeah, taking the carbs off all the time is a bitch. I hear ya.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM

Well today I discovered my potential problem. My main jets were to rich. I went out and bought some KJ125s and installed them this afternoon. My first impression with them was that in the higher gears they tended to bog the engine a bit when the throttle was wide open. For instance if I was in 4th gear and began turning the throttle until it was wide open, I noticed right at WOT it didn't feellike it was accelerating as fast as when I let off the throttle a little bit. I figured to much fuel. Also the lean pops on deacceleration were still there unchanged. So then I decided to rip everything apart again and install my old DynoJet 98s. I also removed each pilot jet and used a guitar string to clean each port. I also moved the screws out a 1/4 turn making them each at 3 turns out. The first thing I noticed off the bat was I didn't have that bog at WOT in the higher gears likeit did with the 117s and 125s. I noticed that the bike did pull a bit harder but at around 9,000 rpms it began to sputter a bit but making it to the redline with relative ease. SO I figured now I'm lean. The stage 1 kit reccomends the DJ102s (KJ105s)for aftermarket exhausts but I may either go with KJ108s or 110s (stock jets). Also again the popping was still there unchanged with the pilots turned out again.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:43 PM

i would run some 110 or 112 main jets with the stock position on the needles

Old 05-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Cool man! I'm glad you're messin around. Since I was wrong on my last try I don't know if you care but my new guess is:

KJ 112 or 114 and move the needles UP a notch or two (towards the end; make 'em longer, whatever you wanna call it.)

I'm totally guessing now, though; but I'm glad you're making progress.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:38 PM

I would love to try and move the needles but last time I tryed I ended up stripping one of the screws on the third carberator. So I had to go back again and move them all back to the forth notch. Somehow I will need to find the smallest screw extractor I can to fix the problem and then find a new screw. Im going to try the 110 first and see how that works. Theres only one shop in the area that keeps certain sizes in stock. I'll see what they have and hopefully nail it the next time. On good note I now have 8 jets I can use on trade in.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 AM

so basically your screw head went from a + to a o thats an easy fix if you have a dremel. cut a line in there and use a flat head. my old carbs were like that never had a problem. but i can tell you if you keep the 4th needle and increase the jet size you will begin to run into the problems you once had

Quick Reply: jetting and high speed