CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

ignition advance rotor identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition advance rotor identification

I was wondering, I just got a factory pro advancer that is 6 degrees and it has a 6 stamped on it. now I assume that is to tell you it is a 6 degree advance, right? the one I was trying to pull off (anyway to do that WITHOUT an impact wrench??) has an 8 stamped on it... am I downgrading, or does the 8 not really mean anything?? and how have you guys gotten these things off?? thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM

well I borrowed a friends impact driver and got it changed, but am still curious about whether or not I just went from an 8 to a 6 degree rotor. thanks!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cbreric
well I borrowed a friends impact driver and got it changed, but am still curious about whether or not I just went from an 8 to a 6 degree rotor. thanks!
I don't believe they make a 8 degree advancer? I have a 6 degree on my Hurricane. Is the one you took off made a little thicker metal if it is its a stock one?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM

if I line up the 7 teeth (the LARGE ones that look like teeth on a sprocket) the indent that lines up the the advancer on the mount so it only fits one way) the indent is at about 4:00 on the one I took off and about 5:00 on the new one. is that the direction it would be to advance the timing? I am going to have to take them off and take a pic side by side I think. the stock one have any numbers stamped on them?? thanks a lot!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM

if I line up the 7 teeth (the LARGE ones that look like teeth on a sprocket) the indent that lines up the the advancer on the mount so it only fits one way) the indent is at about 4:00 on the one I took off and about 5:00 on the new one. is that the direction it would be to advance the timing? I am going to have to take them off and take a pic side by side I think. the stock one have any numbers stamped on them?? thanks a lot!!
I will have to check on the rotation to figure out if its more or less advanced but I'm thinking it rotates clock wise.
I will see today if I can find my old stock advancer and see what numbers may or may not be on it.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM

sweet, thanks a lot! Eric

Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so are you guys finding a performance gains with these?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 PM

I know that advancing the ignition on any other bike or car has made them snappier at least, and some nice power gains (considering how easy it is) at best. I am hoping for the "at best" scenario

Old 04-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Default Stock advancer

sweet, thanks a lot! Eric
I found my stock advancer and yes it has a number 8 stamped on the top and that the only number or marking on it.
I can not find my factory manual at the moment to find out what the stock static timing is? The number 8 could be +8 degrees and the after market ones are + whatever stock is so maybe its at 14 degrees total with the plus 6 (if stock is 8+6=14) could be that way but maybe not?

The extra timing helps thottle responds but I don't think it would help top end power. also advancing helps a stock engine but a highly modified one may need less advance that stock.

Last edited by DarylCincy; 04-06-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM

great, EXACTLY what I wanted to hear lol! how do you like yours? heave not really tried mine yet, been rainy

Quick Reply: ignition advance rotor identification