CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

How to remove link from chain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove link from chain?

I just bought a new chain and I need to remove some links. I got a new EK SRX 530 130 link chain for $63 shipped from stuntfactory.com. From what I saw I couldn't pass up the price. I am just wanting to know if I can remove the links without a special tool and if so how? This is the first time that I have ever installed a chain. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM

I have done this two ways. I was able to grind down one side of the links where the two posts stick through and then you can punch them out with a small punch and a hammer. This way is a little difficult and if your not careful you can ruin your chain. I would recommend trying it on the old chain first. Or you can buy a chain breaker which i got at a local motorcycle shop. They are not to expensive either i think i paid $20 for mine. The chain breaker is very easy to use and it will not hurt the chain at all.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll need to find a way to grind down the pin and then pop it out.

a file or dremel will work to grind down the pin and a punch or drift to knock the pin out.

or if you want to get real fancy, a die grinder and a chaintool.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 PM

dremel/die grinder, and a punch and hammer.

to install it does it use a clip or is it a rivet type master link?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 PM

looks to have a rivet type i suppose but i dont have any rivets or anything other than a ordinary pop rivet gun.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM

ugh, no, not that kind of rivet.

the chain should come with a masterlink. basically, a free plate with 2 hollow pins, a side plate, and 2 rubber seals. after you get the chain cut to length, use the masterlink to connect the ends of the chain together. this is where the chaintool comes in handy. it will expand the ends of the pins to keep the side plate in place.

if you don't have the above setup, then you may have chain that uses what amounts to a snapring of sorts. if this is the case then you would be advised to wire up the clip to prevent it from falling off.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM

The first type that you mentioned is the type that I have. When I count the links to break the chain do I need to count the masterlink in the 110 links? Which would leave me with 109 links and the master links. Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but this bike is my first and I just think that this is a great place to get good advise.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 PM

count the master link as a link. dont just count out 109 links and cut it there. take off your old chain, put on the new one, and see where you need to cut it. unless you're sure you have stock gearing, i would put the new one on the bike and see where you need to cut it. make sure you crimp the master link on good, thats why its recommended to buy the proper tool. the right tool will easily shorten a chain and crimp the master link. if the chain comes off, it can do serious damage to the motor, or YOU!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 PM

agreed. for a few extra dollars, a chain tool is well worth it for what you are trying to do.

rotate the chain looking at the links. you should find one set of pins/rivets that is different from all the others. that is your masterlink. usually the number would be 110 but to be sure either count the links or cut the chain off and lay next to new one as trip says.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM

chain tool is a GREAT investment, make it an you won't regret it!

Quick Reply: How to remove link from chain?