CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

How much is this cbr600f worth??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 11:49 PM
Default How much is this cbr600f worth??

Hello,

new to the forum and soon to be new to cbr/bikes in general.

I was looking at getting an older cbr600 as a starter bike, and was woundering how much f f2 f3 can go for.

I would like a good running bike I can ride during washingtons 3 month riding season. (more like 2-3weeks a year ,, pretty much when ever its sunny)

Like this bike a what would you pay for it?
1990 cbr600f 18k
Seems to be in good condition, a few scraps on fairings but nothing major for being a 1990.
Also what should I look for before purchasing such a bike?

http://www.adventuremotorsports.net/...1R0&veh=380114

How much would you pay for a f2 in same condition.
how much for a f3? same milage and such.

Thanks alot fellas

Old 10-03-2006 | 11:55 PM
Retired Administrator
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:06 AM
Default RE: How much is this cbr600f worth??

But what would you pay for it?

or is a f2 or f3 a better choice.
I dont want to buy a new bike in a year, I would like to get 2 or 3 out of it.

Old 10-04-2006 | 01:06 AM

about how many miles do cbr's last?

well maintained and abused?
I know thats a tuffy
But a civic can usually go 200K atleast 100k if you kick the living hell out of em 300+ if you take care if em..
I just have no idea whats alot of miles for a bike in general
but I am interest in what the f1-4 can do

thanks guys

Old 10-04-2006 | 03:43 AM

That seems too high for me. You might want to check Craigslist. I live in Seattle, and got my Hurricane for $1000. It has a lot of miles, but a recently rebuilt engine. But if you're willing to pay $3k, like the one you posted, you probably want to get an f2 or f3. Also, if you're new to bikes, you probably shouldn't care about getting the best looking one on the road. You can save a bundle if you buy one with rashed or even broken off fairings. It doesn't change the performance of the bike at all, just the looks.

Oh, and by the way, I ride 12 months out of the year here in Seattle. You can too. Get some rain gear and be super careful, but I think it's worth it.

Old 10-04-2006 | 12:02 PM

that is a nice cane, however i wouldnt pay $3000 for it. you could find a much nicer bike for that price. the best thing to do is get a cane from a private seller, you can normally work them down. i think pretty much everyone, if not everyone on here, got their f1 for less than $2000. some pretty nice ones too.

as far as how long do they last, well....my bike has 40,000 miles on it now and still running strong. also michigan_313 i know has around 80,000 on his f1. goes hand in hand with taking care of your ride. undoubtably there will be something wrong with it at some point, but it can always be fixed. good luck.

Old 10-04-2006 | 05:01 PM

a bike, any bike, will last as long as you take care of it, even basic maintenance goes a long way.

i take it that ad for the bike is from a dealer. so my guess is that the dealer has overpriced it. if it doesn't move, the price is negotiable. if the bike hasn't moved in a couple of weeks, go and see if they will price to sell. work'em hard, they'll probably hate you for it, but my guess is they don't want it sitting in inventory forever.

from the pic it is pretty clean, but i wouldn't consider it unless i saw it in person with the plastics off. if i start seeing rash, broken tabs, or one side is okay but the other is so-so then probably been down, how does it sound, how does it run, are the areas around the carbs clean, does the suspension sag or bomb out, condition of tires, condition of chain and sprockets, look inside the tank for rust, any chopped wiring, etc. i would look at all this even though it has low miles. no reason to drop 3k and have to spend another, what? $500, $1000 just to get the bugs sorted out.

replacement parts can start adding up quick. you can save yourself some money if you are mechanically inclined and have time to search ebay for stuff. if you don't have the want or the time, don't bother. it can get to be headache really quick.

for 3k i would look at a f2. plenty out there and in good condition. even if in so-so condition, parts are still easier to obtain.

6 years ago when i got my bike, this is what i got for 3k

bike - $2000
insurance - $150
registration/transfer of title - $100
helmet - $450
replacement items (rear tire, chain, brake pads) - $350

Old 10-05-2006 | 12:55 AM

That is way too high to pay for an F1. Like everyone else said look into a F2/F3 for that money. Try to avoid the stealerships unless they are offering you something extra, but I doubt it. Like michigan said, see if they are willing to come down on price, it can't hurt. Check local classified ads or craigslist for private sellers, you will get a better deal, just be careful. I paid $1400 for my F1, 5 years ago, yeah it needed cosmetic work but everything else was solid and it had less than 20k on the clock.

Old 10-05-2006 | 02:43 AM

I know this might be fubar (on a cbr forum)

but how about a nighthawk?

A little back round on me.

I have only ridden a bike,, for about lets say total time, 1-2 hours in my life.

I can control my wrist so power isn't a problem, but riding experience is. I wont go faster than my skills alow, I think. I just want an easy to ride bike that isnt too *****. Something I can go into town and not be ashamed of myself, or something I can take on a Mt. Pass (stevens pass) and pass slow people with somewhat ease.

I want to get a honda. I am a true honda lover. Cars to generators. If it runs off gas and honda makes one, thats what I get.

I just want to get a cheap bike. Something that isnt too ***** like a 250 ninja that I will sell in a month because I cant drive it anywhere.
I want to buy a bike that will give me ample seat time so if I like riding and can gain enough experience untill I buy a brand new honda cbr or what not. I want a sport bike and I love honda so cbr. But is a
nighthawk a good stepping stone, or should I just get a older cbr, then get a newer cbr when I feel comfortable in the seat?

Thanks alot again guys for you responses (quick also thanks)

What is your guys opinion of the nighthawks?

Old 10-05-2006 | 06:49 AM

How about this one?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/212789981.html

what about that runability problem?

if it looks good and idles good, what should I offer him?

Quick Reply: How much is this cbr600f worth??