CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

how to make a slip-on quieter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make a slip-on quieter

Now that I've got the bike running nice, anyone know how to make a yoshimura slip-on quieter? I'm one of the few people that like a quiet exhaust note. I've seen the fiberglass baffle material they sell - can you just open up the muffler and slide that in?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how to make a slip-on quieter

you can pack/repack the exhaust but it won't be that much quieter because the end can does not contain that much volume as compared to the larger stock exhaust can.

you need more volume to absorb sound waves or separate chambers for sound waves to cancel out. i suppose you could pack it really tight with packing and see if it helps. the yosh end can was not really meant to be quiet, it is meant for performance. hence the smaller cylinder just enough to add a little muffle but not much else. it's like borderline running on straight pipe.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM

to quiet a slipon down, you pack the material in it looser, and repack it tighter for louder. alternately, you may be able to get a baffle for your pipe.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM

you could fabricate yourself a baffle, same as the baffles on fart pipes for cars.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Hurricane rider

to quiet a slipon down, you pack the material in it looser, and repack it tighter for louder. alternately, you may be able to get a baffle for your pipe.
given how small the endcan is and how big the inner tube is, i can't imagine how much packing could be packed into it tightly or loosely. my buddy has a yosh can for his old katana and there ain't jack room in there for nothing. i told him he was better off putting on a cherry bomb or a glass pack.

the idea for a removable baffle may work like those used on scorpian or lazer or other aftermarket exhausts.

hell, go supercheap. get earplugs.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Earplugs are the best bang for your buck. wind noise is also reduced with them, which helps keep your hearing at its finest for longer.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 PM

also reduces your ability to hear your surroundings, not good.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM

not really, I've ridden with earplugs. they dont reduce your ability to hear the surroundings that much. you'll really notice a reduction in wind noise and exhaust, but thats about it.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 PM

i've used earplugs before, but i'd rather not have to bother. if you install a baffle, do you have to modify the carbs in any way? and how do I know which baffle to buy?

Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 AM

carb mod should not be needed for a baffle.

and you won't know which baffle to buy because none were made for this particular model. removeable baffles are a relatively new thing with later model year bikes using aftermarket exhausts. you may have to make your own baffle as most exhausts that do include them are made in mind to use a removeable one for track days andthe like.

you could measure the inside radius of the exhaust outlet and see if any aftermarket exhuasts have a replacement that you could buy that would fit. or make your own from pictures. shouldn't be very difficult.

Quick Reply: how to make a slip-on quieter