CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

help! fuel issues , i think

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! fuel issues , i think

hi, i have a 87 cbr 600 f. when i first got this bike it ran well, installed was a switch for the fuel pump [ on/off ], i could hear it pumping when i switched it on. now this morning the bike died on me on the way from work. i noticed last night it was running for a mile strong and slowly dying, then it would cut off. so it finally died on me this morning and had to be brought home on my truck.
it definitely was something with the fuel, and i no longer hear the clicking of the fuel pump at all.
im open to any and all suggestions from whoever has advice for me. i dont have money to buy everything at once but i will buy as i can afford what is suggested.
really need my bike, i spend like 160 in gas a week in my truck going to work, so this was supposed to be help to me, so i appreciate any advice, and thanks.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM

i regrounded and ran hot wire to fuse box, fuel pump not coming on at all. will replace this weekend.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM

well, i traced the ground and hot wire, and put directly to the fuse box, regorunded the ground and no fuel is pumping out of the furl line [ i removed the carb supply line from fp].
so no noise from fp, or no fuel but direct power tells me bad fp. i will put new pump on this weekend .
Question, do i need to replace the switch that was bypassed that controls the fuel pump, or will this toggle switch system be ok? im just no expert, nut i assume every component on the bike has its purpose and does not need to be bypassed.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM

im also hearing a ticking noise slightly from around the sprk plug wire area, sounds like it would be the kind of noise a spark plug wire would make if you was checking for spark. but all wires are on plugs, gonna wait to dusk and idle in yard to try to find.
however if my fuel pump is bad and does not pump, why does bike run at idle?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try doing a by-pass to the fuel-pump. Effectively, making it a gravity feed.
I have read of people saying, they have done this successfully with the older bikes.
If you're sure it's fuel-pump. Might check fuel filter, just in case.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM

@Mad, thank you for your advice, i did bypass the fuel pump just a little while ago and it was dying on me identical to how it was when i was riding it. when i rev up it immediately bogs down to cutting off unless i back off the throttle.
gonna take off my carbs tomorrow and clean. thank you, will post back as soon as i reinstall carbs tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM

i noticed that when i took off my gas tank, i started draining gas out realizing that there was not a good stream of gas at all that was coming out the petcock valve. so i removed petcock from tank and gas poured out . i then took peacock apart and amazed at the amount of debris that had one hole inside completely clogged.
there was definitely lots of fuel restriction there, so i cleaned it. had to post this because to me that was a good find, still going to clean carbs tomorrow regardless.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM

ok, got my carbs cleaned this morning, put everything back on and nothing. lol
so i squirted a little gas in te carbs and she fired up. so im replacing fuel pump and fuel filter friday.
will post back after i install everything.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM

@madd, fuel pump and new fuel filter installed, runs like a honda now. thanks for your input.im gonna do a walk around of my bike and take pictures for you all can see what i have to work with, so if you want to feedback with any suggestions on upgrades or mechanical improvements, then that would be awesome.
my intentions is to do some much needed restoring and upgrades soon so all opinions are helpful. and again thanks

Old 02-03-2012, 07:57 PM

here are some pics, finally able to upload them.

Attached Thumbnails help! fuel issues , i think-2012-01-28-11.53.51.jpg   help! fuel issues , i think-2012-01-28-11.54.10.jpg   help! fuel issues , i think-2012-01-28-11.58.28.jpg   help! fuel issues , i think-2012-01-28-11.58.03.jpg   help! fuel issues , i think-2012-01-28-11.57.50.jpg  

Quick Reply: help! fuel issues , i think