CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

HELP ASAP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ASAP PLZ

Hello im new to this site but im glad i found it because i just got a stunted hurricane and am having some problems.... all of a sudden my bike started runnin like **** and i replaced the plugs made sure they were getting fire but its acting fine for 5 mins then it starts to run like crap and sounds like only 2 cylinders are hitting so i put 1 new coil on it and id did the same thing so any suggestions? plz if any 1 can help im 17 with only a street bike and i have to get this bike runnin so i can drive it to work u can email me at kc_connelly@***.net thnx

Old 09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Default RE: HELP ASAP PLZ

it sounds like a fuel pump to me. you'll need to test the fuel pressure, when it starts to run bad.

If you just want to replace parts because of lack of testing equipment, AutoZone or equivalent has universal fuel pumps. You don't need very mch pressure at all.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM

were is the fuel pump located on the hurricanes? and also wat else do you think it could be, because my running lights went out with my lo beams and ALL of my fuses are good so this bike is giving me a head ache =) any other advice would help thnx...

Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM

Just slow down a bit before you start throwing parts at it or you could spend a LOT of money.

That's great that you put a new coil on it but there's 2 coils. You need to measure the resistance of each coil with a meter. They should be between 2.5 and 3.1 ohms each. IF it's 3.5, don't freak out, it's probably fine.

Did your lo beams and running lights quit at the same time it started running poorly? A good thing to do anyway would be to get some DeOxit or some contact cleaner and open up ALL of the multi-pin connectors in front of the fuse box and shoot some stuff in there to clean them. Also the ones right in the middle of the bike behind the gas tank and the connectors for the CDI box, which is behind the right upper encased in a rubber sleeve. Also sprazy contact sleaner into the hi/lo switch on your handlebars. Maybe it will help. Whatever happens, it's a good thing to do.

Does your bike run poorly when it's cold, or just when it's warm?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Also, you can find out if the trouble is in your "spark" system if you or a friend has a timing light. Hook it up to the battery and put the light on each spark plug wire while the bike is running. Push the trigger and if the light flashes, you're getting spark to that plug. One side is plug wires 1,4 and the other is 2,3.

If you're getting spark to all 4 plugs, then maybe you could investigate your fuel system like Maverick said.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:39 PM

Definately sounds like a Fuel Pump

Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM

here are some pics of where the pump is

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 AM

ok yes the running lights and lo beams went out at the same time and like 2 mins later the bike started to run like it was hitting on 2 cylinders... after i put 1 new coil on it started running ok so i go take it for a spin and like 5 mins down the road it started doing the same thing.... aslo my friends are telling me that fuel is gravity fed and that thers is no fuel pump... i couldnt see the picture of where it was at because of this crappy school comp... i appreciate all the help... any more advice would help

Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM

There IS a fuel pump. If you take off your left rear-upper, you see where the line goes out of the tank, INTO the fuel filter, out of the fuel filter INTO the fuel pump that's about half the size of a red-bull can. then OUT of the fuel pump off into the carb.

If the fuel pump is working, you can feel it go thump,thump,thump when the bike is idling. Or, if you have a meter, you can test the leads to it when the bike is running and you should get some voltage. It only works when you're starting or running, though.

If your fuel pump is bad, you can turn your bike into a gravity feed if you get some 3/8" fuel line from the auto parts (couple bucks), and just make a new line that goes OUT of the fuel filter and directly to the carb. 2 feet should be plenty. There's a reason they put that fuel pump on there, though, so only if you have to.

Also, check your NEGATIVE (black) battery wire and make sure it's connected well at the battery, and at the ground point on the starter. Just trying to throw everything out there.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:52 PM

i think mine is straight gravity fed because it runs straight from the gas tank to the fuel rail... i made sure the hoses arn't kinked..... its like when my motor gets hot like after 5 to 10 mins of dtriving down the road... you think it may be my other coil?? i aslo cleanded the carbs to make sure nothing is sticken in it... any more suggestions? the advice really helps cuz im broke and tryin to fix this myself .... i have the manuel on it........

Quick Reply: HELP ASAP PLZ