CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Headlight removal and odds and ends..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Headlight removal and odds and ends..

Ordered a new headlight and the bolt for the clutch handle ($25 for both shipped), and am planning on pulling the old headlight out (high beam is burned out), do I have to remove the whole front fairing for that? If anyone has any tips for not messing it up, feel free to post them, want to get all this in my head before I start on it (sposed to raing the next 3 days, so I have a little time, parts won't be here till next week anyway....also has anyone used high temp (like for barbecue grills or brake calipers) on their exhaust? I have a can of flat black, which is the color it is now, and was thinking of scuffing it up real good and painting it as it has a stain on the top....thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 PM

I have used the high temp paint on the muffler portion of the exhaust and it worked well. Never tried the headers...
The headlight can be changed without removing the fairing. Just reach up from underneath.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM

reach up from underneath, or remove the speedo cluster to change the bulb.

i've used bar-b-q grill paint on headers with good results.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:53 AM

Awesome thanks guys, is there just clips holding the light in then?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:56 PM

got the gauge cluster out of the way and manage to get the harness off the light...but I can't get the light to budge...does it turn to pull out? Very little room to get in there ( I have BIG hands)..and I don't want to mess it up, my bulb should be here by Wed.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM

there should be a metal wire thing that goes over the back of the bulb and clips it in. it is copper colored. let me know the results, I can try and describe it better if you still cant see it. and I just painted my header with bbq paint, works good. the key is to make sure they are clean first. use a plastic wheel that goes on a cordless drill to remove the rust and then blow it clean with a compressor. then I used a rag and put some acetone on it and wiped it down. made a nice clean and dry surface for the paint to stick to. then just a lot of thinner coats and warm it up a lot before the first ride. it will smoke and STINK the first time. nicer to be able to start it in the yard and walk away from the stink than be stuck on the bike with it

Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM

There's a rubber seal all around everything so I can't see anything, I may mess with it in a bit and see if I can find it, thanks for the tips on the exhaust!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Took the seal off and there it was, thanks much Cbreric, got it out, now all I have to do is wait for the new one and put it in and put everything back together and it's ready for inspection!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:44 PM

glad you figured it out, pretty easy once you have done it.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:36 PM

look at the bulb, does it look like one of the elements is burned out?
just kinda weird the high beam would be blown.
when you get the new bulb, DO NOT touch the glass with your fingers. the oils from your skin will cause the bulb to burnout, or possbily explode.

Quick Reply: Headlight removal and odds and ends..