CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Harder springs in front fork

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harder springs in front fork

Hi everybody, erlier I've purchased a adjustable KONI monoshock for my F1 and now I want to tune up the front end so it matches the new shock in the back.
Does someone have recommedations for stiffer springs in the front fork and/or thicker fork oil?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harder springs in front fork

Maybe higher air pressure?

Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Last month I helped a friend install a Progressive spring set on his SV650 Suzuki.

The one thing I found interesting with this spring kit was how Progressiveremovedfork sagby using plastic PVC pipe supplied in their fork spring kit.

Once the new spring was in the fork tube andfork oil was added, progressive suggested tocutup to a3 inch length of PVC pipe for each fork and install the PVC section on top of each tube between the new spring and fork cap to tighten the fork spring.

My suggestion for a cheap wayto tighten up the forks and eliminate spring sag would be to try using some 1 inch PVC piping cut into lengths of 1-1/2 to 3 inch lengths and start with the shorter pieces first untill you get the desired feel you desire. This could be done for less than ten bucks..

I am using Bel-Ray 15 weight fork oil and running 6 pounds of air in each fork and I bottom the forks out all the time, and I am thinking about using the PVC spacers on each fork myself.

If you try installing the PVC spacers, just be carefull and keep your head out of the way of flying fork cap and or spring/spacer...

If you happen to slip off the spring when installing the cap, the spring/cap/spacer could hit you in the face or head, so be very carefull.....

I once had a fork cap slip and that suckerflew over my house and land in the street some sixty feet away, so be carefull !!!!!

Ifdoit this week end I will post some pics for you...
john

Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 AM

i would not recommed putting in more air to "stiffin" up the fork. if your forks are worn, i would just recommend getting them rebuilt. as for the pvc pipe, neat trick, but if the springs are sagging or worn, there is no amount of spring preload that will help make the forks equivalent to your rear shock.

i had my forks rebuilt with heavier springs to match my weight, heavier fork oil, and new seals. i had a set of racetech springs and cartridge emulators installed. well worth the money.

i am actually in the process of putting on a set of later model forks that have more adjustability.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 PM

Thanks foe the answers I have decided to go on a 10w fork oil and progressives springs, will report on how the bike is acting with the new suspension later in the spring

Old 01-12-2007, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: MRJaggu

Thanks foe the answers I have decided to go on a 10w fork oil and progressives springs, will report on how the bike is acting with the new suspension later in the spring
Let us know if theProgressive spring set you get instructs you to use their cut to fitPVC spacers like on the Suzuki SV Progressive spring set.

Thanks john

Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 AM

Will do.
The brand of the springs are: Progressive susensions USA anyone who have any info about it?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Old 01-14-2007, 03:25 PM

Any ideas that won't cost me $150?? Has anyone tried using heavier oil ?? How much does that help?
I'm trying anything to keep my fork from bottoming out with my big *** on it..

Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM

it could help, but it is not really a longterm solution.

Quick Reply: Harder springs in front fork