CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing

i keep hearing about everyone changing the gearing for wheelies and such but has anyone on here done the oposite im thinkin +1 -2or3. how much accelaration am i gonna lose with that?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Default RE: Gearing

Enough you probably wont like it. Unless you're doing an Iron Butt Rally, it doesnt seem necissary.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's my take on gearing.

what are you going to do with the bike? stunt ie. wheelie? drag? canyon carving? street race? something totally off the wall?

one needs to know how their bike is going to be used from day to day? if it is commuting, then don't bother changing gearing. it's more or less optimal for day in day out riding.

now, if one is drag racing or stunting, then more acceleration is required, change the rear to more teeth, more than 3 to start making a difference.

if outright speed is the game, then change down more teeth, smaller rear.

in either case, you will lose top end or bottem end. just depends on what the game is.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here's my take on gearing.

what are you going to do with the bike? stunt ie. wheelie? drag? canyon carving? street race? something totally off the wall?

one needs to know how their bike is going to be used from day to day? if it is commuting, then don't bother changing gearing. it's more or less optimal for day in day out riding.

now, if one is drag racing or stunting, then more acceleration is required, change the rear to more teeth, more than 3 to start making a difference.

if outright speed is the game, then change down more teeth, smaller rear.

in either case, you will lose top end or bottem end. just depends on what the game is.
+1
but for stunt go really huge on the rear, like more than 50 tooth, I've seen some 70 tooth stunt gears.

www.sumofallparts.net has a nice 530 chain/gearing conversion for the Cane' and it seems to be really pimp. I've been thinking about doing this upgrade but I ride my cane to work every day(weather permitting), and drag race on the weekends(and sometimes the street[]). They also can do custom gearing and coating for the sprockets.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:19 PM

Before spending $50.00 on a rear sprocket, try this first.

It's a 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket for the 600 Hurricane.

$15.00 on ebay.

I put one on my cane and it helped a bunch with the low end, cheep easy mod.

I paid for it on Monday and it was at my house on Thursday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

Old 11-04-2006, 12:14 AM

i dont see to much stunting going on with me or my bike so im not worried about getting the front comming up. im gonna be doing alot of highway riding and im gonna have some long clear roads and im about going fast top end.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:43 AM

them just go with a smaller rear or front and that will give u more top end but stock it will run like a bat out of hell have u reved it out yet like gone as fast as the bike will let u go?

Old 11-04-2006, 03:21 AM

once or twice but not for long cops around here are harsh.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Junior hows the valves coming? What speed did ya top it out at? and Somebody get me to go to sleep please!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:31 AM

been busy, havnt had a chance to mess with it. as for topping out it was just under 145 by the speedo, it still had a little more but i didnt want to press my luck just yet. i still gotta get some tires with tread and a new chain. fastest ive been on 2 wheels so far. suprisingly smooth at least more so than i thought it would be.

Quick Reply: Gearing