CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fuel Tank/Cap Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007 | 10:32 AM
Default RE: Fuel Tank/Cap Question

The good thing is that there are only 2 caps that cover all four years.

Could have been a right bugger if you had eight part numbers over four years.

Old 07-27-2007 | 11:20 AM
|

ORIGINAL: biggie

The good thing is that there are only 2 caps that cover all four years.

Could have been a right bugger if you had eight part numbers over four years.
but which one do i have........

Old 07-27-2007 | 12:11 PM

time to call the dealer.

Old 07-27-2007 | 01:19 PM
|

anyone have a reliable local dealer? the guys at our dealership are ubertards and dont know sh*t to begin with, much less about an F1. hell, most of them dont even know what a hurricane is.

does anyone have any knowledge of another gas cap that will work? if it was an f2 or f3 tank i could just buy a replacement aftermarket keyless one or something, but the f1 didnt have allen bolts in the gas cap....so no go on that idea.

Old 07-27-2007 | 02:11 PM

let me see if spare tank i have is 12 o'clock. i'll try to see if i still have the cap for it.

Old 07-27-2007 | 02:24 PM

rrasco-

this maybe an easy fix. after looking at my current tank and cap, especially the cap, there is a protrusion on the lock mechanism that corresponds to the notch located on the mouth of the tank.

now here is possibly your fix. take cap, turn over and look under and around rubber seal. yousee there is what appears to be like a snap ring holding the lock mechanism to the cap. do you follow my thinking? take the rubber seal off, and try to take assembly clip off, turn lock mechanism around 180 degrees and put everything back together. now lock protrusion should line up with notch in fill hole.

only thing is i do not know if all this can be put back together only one way, but i can't see it not working either.

i'll see if i can find that extra cap and look into this further. but i think it can be done without you having to purchase another cap. you could do it with the extra one that you have and if you want, take to locksmith to have rekeyed. it'll cost you $20 or so.

Old 07-27-2007 | 02:51 PM
|

i got what you are saying, i will have to look at it when i get home, but i also dont have another cap. i only have the cap that came with my bike, the other tank came without one.

i guess after all this, my main question would be....why in the hell did honda even make a change like that? especially if it was just for one year....someone must have had the mold on backwards or something...lol.

Old 07-28-2007 | 03:21 PM

dude, if you haven't done anything yet, let me save you some trouble.

found the spare cap i had and was able to take it apart.

1. lock mech cannot be turned 180 degrees.

2. vent is located in only one spot along cap.

3. screw holes are not spaced evenly around cap to secure lock mech.

4. the difference between mm5 and mn4 is one is at 6 o'clock and one is at noon.

5. i found a alpha-num on the lock under the lock retainer. it was stamped mm4a, kinda close to mn4.

6. i guess you could purchase mm5 and see if it is the one you need.

Old 07-29-2007 | 04:28 PM
|

im not sure what im gonna do yet, but ill take a look to see if there is a number on mine as well.

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:59 PM

I guess it's a moot point, but each color code for the fuel tank has two part #'s. How dumb is that. Why have two defferent tnaks and caps for the same bike. At least the 1000 isn't like that. Could you modify the tank to accept the cap? Seems like a waste to buy a new cap...

BUT, if you did, you could get it keyed to your ignition key. Just give them the code on your ignition lock when ordering it...

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank/Cap Question