CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fuel Economy / Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Economy / Consumption

That sucks. Nothing I haven't done before though, lol. A few times I have gotten lucky and been able to roll into a gas station. Others, I got to push my bike miles in full gear in July.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the reserve?? you guys don't leave the reserve forr just such an occcasion?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 PM

The petcock on my bike doesn't work right. I don't know if my tank's reserve works either. However, I have a new tank and petcock so that issue will be solved soon. In dalex's case, he killed his battery. Then again, did you try bump starting it dalex?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 PM

187 miles on my last tankbut wasnt completely empty. I make it a point to reset my trip after every fillup. Mostly city travel with short trips usually 10 to20 miles.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM

There was no space for me to try to bump start it: I stopped going uphill and cars were flying by me at 60mph. I was stuck between the freeway and the on ramp (behind the cement separator) where vehicles accelerate go get on the main lanes.

Then again, bump staring it wouldn't have worked either because that's what I had to do once I filled her up. Took 4 tries with someone pushing me from behind before she fired up. I presume that's because the carbs and fuel pump were completely starved of fuel and it took some juice and a few tries before everything got fed again. Probably didn't have enough left to even ignite the spark plugs after I was done trying (prior to relizing I ran out of fuel).

As I said, lesson learned. I'll be laughing about it in a while but it wasn't amusing then and there.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM

im gettin around 48-52 mpg

Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 PM

I've been getting around 28-30 mpg on my bike since I bought it last year. I recently pulled the carbs off to clean and check them over. Nothing was dirty or out of spec, but when I put it back together, I noticed that the little brass tubes near the air intakes on my carbs were all uncovered. I remembered reading this thread and realized that I was having a lot of similar problems, i.e. needing to run choke for a long time, sluggish performance, etc. I ended up supergluing some toothpicks into the holes, and WOW! The bike sounds brand new, it's actually holding a steady idle now, and I'm getting near 50 mpg. If it's warm outside, I don't even need to use the choke to start it up now! It's easily been the most significant improvement to the bike I've made. I'm surprised that these tubes and their effect aren't mentioned in either the Honda manual or the Haynes manual I have, since it seems like they're pretty important.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM

/\/\ You have a pic of those tubes? Something I want to look into.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 AM

I did the same as mrfisher and saw a noticeable improvement but it also coincided with many other things I did at the same time. Therefore, I cannot say that blocking those holes was the single factor that made my bike run so much better. However, it seems that doing so has yielded amazing results for all those who have done it so far.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

/\/\ You have a pic of those tubes? Something I want to look into.
rrasco, pics are attached in the mentioned thread. Click here

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy / Consumption