CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fork Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Springs

Hey, i was wondering if anyone had an extra set of fork springs.

about a month ago i went riding with billistic, and got to ride his cane to see how they compared. i noticed his bike turned easier. looking at the bikes side by side, his front end sat lower. i had an extra inch of chrome showing on the fork tubes.

when i rebuilt my bike, i had two sets of forks. one had longer springs and i used them thinking they might be stiffer or something. now i think i want the stock length to make the bike handle a little better.

if anyone has some springs they can part with, let me know.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:29 PM

raising your front or lowering your rear will make turning harder. It increases the rake (angle of your forks). Look at choppers vs sport bikes. the more straight up your forks, the faster you turn and also the less stable your bike.

You can find stiffer springs without changing the length. You should find a good spring for your weight. Too stiff will toss you off the bike.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM

right, i raised the fork tubes up in the tripple trees and it helped. i would rather have the forks in the right spot with the right springs. i thought about cutting down the spacer, but i'm not sure what spring rate is in there now, and would rather just go back to stock.
i would order some progressive springs or something fancy, but i dont have the cash to buy new. thats why i'm looking for parts here.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM

I am not sure that stock springs would be any cheaper new. As for something old and used, all you will do is get something that has no strength left in it, which is bad. If you want to fix the problem you definitely want new springs. You don't need to get anything fancy, I think I spent around 80 bucks on Ebay for my springs and they made a huge difference.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM

true...
i saw one set of progressive springs on ebay. i might have to break down and pick them up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR60...Q5fAccessories
these look ok?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Yep, The only thing I would double check is the length. Look at the spec page for those forks and then see if you can find the stock length of OEM springs.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 PM

stock length is 15.3 inches. i didn't see a length listed on the auction. ill have to ask the seller. should they be the same length, even though it says i have to make my own spacer?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM

ok, i checked again. the mfg lists the springs as being 18.5 inches long. i dont remeber how long the stock spacer is, but it give kinda vague instructions for figureing that out.

ill have to see if my budget warrants spending money on the springs.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM

I would just ask the seller if the length is made up with the spacer or if it will cause a problem. I personally am not good at suspension (yet). It is the next thing I am going to learn how to get good at.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM

when I added progressive springs on my dads bike the instructions had us cutting down the stock spacer until it was at the desired height and stiffness. we didn't want to, in case he wanted to return it to stock, so we used pvc pipe of the same diameter. seems to work great, handles a LOT better

Quick Reply: Fork Springs