CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

first bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first bike

hey everyone, i just picked up my first bike today 1990 600f. i got the bike off a friend who sadly let it sit for 3 years. so it needs a little love. upon inspection of the bike i noticed that the gastank looke a little rusty on the inside and the gas was bad.
so is there any way to cure the serface rust on the inside of the tank?

thanks in avdance

-doomed

Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Default RE: first bike

Well there are methods of using electrolysis which works really well. I have never done it BUT I heard it works wonders. I have used vinegar and salt in my old Yamaha 650 that had a really bad case of surface rust. It should work well in your tank.Drain the gas in your tank then fill it with white vinegar. Then add abouttablespoon or two of salt. Let it sit for about a day or two. Every acouple of hours I always shook it up a bit and looked inside to seewhat was happening. After your done with the vinegar, flush out the vinegar and fill it up with good gas.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 PM

highly reccomend muratic acid. Be careful not to get any on the tank and properly dispose of it. While using the muratic acid you can also add some large nuts/bolts to shake during of pefore the process to rid of any rust that will easily come off. If you live in a larger town I would reccomend finding an auto-shop to have them professionaly seal the tank with a specialized rubber for gas tanks.

Telly

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yo yo telly! I am actually flying out to brookings to see my bro and his new baby boy on the 27th!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Sent PM with telephone number. Give me a holla

Old 02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take it to a shop as well and have them clean it. I had mine acid dipped and epoxy coated on the inside to prevent future rust; $70. I know they also sell kits and recommend using bbs or nuts like telly suggested.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

You can take it to a shop as well and have them clean it. I had mine acid dipped and epoxy coated on the inside to prevent future rust; $70. I know they also sell kits and recommend using bbs or nuts like telly suggested.
That stuff I believe is called Kreem. It is supposed work wonders but last time I checked it was a bit to expensive for my taste.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: telgren

highly reccomend muratic acid.
i have 2 gallons of that at my grandparents place. which is where the bike is! ill try that first then get some coating or get it coated.

thanks every one ill try to take pics og the process/ bike in general!

-DOOMED-