CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

First Bike! 1988 Cbr600 F1 Hurricane Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On saturday I bought a parts bike. Same year and model, just missing the headers, exhaust, and most of the wiring harness. I am in the middle of the engine swap, so far its taken about 5 hours to drop out both engines. What should I do tuneup wise to the engine before I swap it in?
I plan on painting the frame black, and getting an all digital instrument cluster. Along with a new front fairing from airtech.

Also I am trying to get the rust out of the tank that came with the parts bike, but I am so far unsuccesfull. It is a million times better than the tank that is currently on the bike so I reall y would like to use it.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM

I finally got the new engine in. Bolted right up once I lifted it in. Hooked up cooling system, wiring harness, carbs, fuel lines. Changed the oil, fresh antifreeze, and a battery charge.
First time attempting to start it..... blub blub blub blub with some exhaust coming out. hmm.... STARTER FLUID!!
squirt squirt click click VROOM!!!! blub blub blub.....WTF!!
charged battery, watched espn, then back to work. more starting fluid, blub blub vroom blub.
I kept hearing a swishing sound from the motor, not thinking to much of it.
Apparently the previous owned drilled out the screw that goes into the intake. there is the rubber gaskets that go from the carbs to the intake, then there are screws in the intake just below the rubber gaskets. they just plug the holes. so I put my finger over the hole and tried starting it. Roared to life. so Im not sure what I should do, jb weld it? the screw is shot to hell and will not come out. So is it necessary to have it open?

Love to hear suggestions.

Let the motor run for a few minutes, to work out the kinks. Runs awesome!
Took it for a little ride around the neighborhood, and everything seems great.

Except a quirk/problem I noticed when I first got the bike. The fuel pump tremors every second or two. Almost as if it is struggling to pull the gas from the fuel filter. So should I replace it? Or try cleaning it?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

I found a brand new Fram fuel filter that fits the same size fuel line from FRAM at a local automotive store. It cost me $1.99. Buy it anyways!

Sounds like your bike is on it's way!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 AM

The fuel pump runs off a signal from the cdi. It is not a constant or "always on" type pump. Test the flow of the fuel pump into a graduated beaker for 5 seconds. Multiply your result by 12. It should flow 650cc or 21.9 oz per minute.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:58 AM

dont jb weld that hole because if i understand you correct its right under one of the intake openings and those holes are for syncing your carbs. so i would try to find a screw that fits in there.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Default Where i can put that

Hi Can u help me !! i have a CBR600 1988 im working on her but i need assistance jeje,where do i can put this thing the oil intercooler or something, that in the picture... hehe

Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM

its supposed to mount to the upper fairing bracket, but your bike lacks that piece.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 PM

People typically mount them in front of the other radiator. I've seen them directly in front with a small bracket or you can do something on the side like this:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-...er-sale-66713/

Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by davideokills
People typically mount them in front of the other radiator. I've seen them directly in front with a small bracket
thats what i did. This isnt my pic but so you can see how it looks and mounts

Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 AM

Ok thanks guys!!! your very helpfull i post the same in spain forum and just said my bike its ugly and dont say me nothing helpful jaja.

The side mount its cool but i thing the one on the same radiator looks can work for me...

Thanks a lot...

Quick Reply: First Bike! 1988 Cbr600 F1 Hurricane Project