CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

First Bike! 1988 Cbr600 F1 Hurricane Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike! 1988 Cbr600 F1 Hurricane Project

So yesterday, I drove an hour and a half to this kids house who had this thing sitting in his garage since january. I am turning 18 in a few days, and I am also taking the Motorcycle Safety class in a few weeks. In the mean time, I will be putting some work into my new project. I paid $375 out right. It runs, starts, stops great. No rear brake due to a broken rear set. It is jerry rigged without a key, so you have to turn this **** until the lights come on, then you can start it. The headlight is broken, but still lights up. There are no turn signals, but the brake lights work. It would bog down past 5k rpm, but since there is no tach I dont know how he knew that.... So the first thing I did was run a treatment of seafoam through it. Then I looked at the plugs and BINGO! cylinder three had a nasty mother in it. So I replaced them all just for the hell of it, and no more bogging! Runs awesome.
Then a huge headache comes around.... There is a small crack in the clutch cover, that leaks oil. So I am taking it to my friend who has a welding shop and knows how to weld alluminum.
Both the clutch and the brake levers are shot to hell, so off they go as well. the brake ligth cover is busted up, so thatll need replaced.
I think thats it for day 1 of my adventure into the world of cbr.
Good start, and I think Ill have a sick bike in the end!

Fresh Off the truck

End of day 1

Cracked clutch cover

The culprit

Broken set

Sweet clutch setup

Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 AM

Looks like a great project. What are you gonna do about fairings? streetfighter, stock, or custom?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 AM

I think Im going with streetfighter. Mainly because the fairings he gave me are jacked up. The only good part is the head piece, and the rest are broken up.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 AM

Day 2 of my project.

Today I took off the broken brake light assembly, and took some rust off the sub frame. My friend was unable to weld the clutch cover due to its akward possitioning, so JB Weld it is.
Hooked up the gauge cluster, and it works great!
Had to take off the oil pan because when I was removing the clutch cover, a bolt fell into the oil pan, of course it was unreachable and I broke my little grabby tool.
Took off the headers, and exhaust to clean them up a little bit. Also I supsect an exhaust leak, so some troubleshooting is in order.

Ordering a buttload of parts over the next week when I get the money, then a few days off until they get here.
While I was into the wireing harness, I discovered 3 plugs that had nothing going to them... Hmm Im not a mechanic of course so anyone know what they are?

The Two on the left are for the guage cluster, but the two Im pointing to I dont know about.

Its ALIVE!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 AM

the plugs you are pointing at look like the front right and left blinkers. You can rig up a cheap car taillight bulb or something similar and figure which is which. also all three slots are not needed. my blinkers are aftermarket and only use two wires.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

I have some side plastics I'd sell you, since the head plastic is A.okay. They'll need some treating and painting for sure, but I'd part with them for cheap.

Also, clean those carbs if it sat that long!

Seems like your project needs less than mine, although I'm pulling every damn thing off my bike and checking it thoroughly!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 PM

There are 3 wires on the front blinkers because they were meant to be on all the time and of course blink when you signal. Good luck! Did you inspect the frame for cracks? There is a sticky on top of this forum page.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 AM

I checked real quick for cracks, and it looks ok. put everything back together today, and at the first push whoooaam! it roared to life!
Even though I didnt put the headers back on correctly... but I fixed that lol.
Now there is an oil leak though, which wasnt there before. I had to take the oil pan off to retrieve a screw... but I put it back and tightened all the bolts pretty dang well. I cant fond where it is leaking from.... :/

I wiped it all off, so hopefully Ill locate the problem, before it causes damage. In the meantime, no more turning it on.

Found a guy parting out his bike not too far from me, and I can get ALL the parts I need for only $75!!!
Instead of several hundred at bikebandit or ebay. So I think Ill pick them up on friday, and go from there.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Let me know if you've got any gauges with ~20k miles on them!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM

I have the original from my bike at 60k
The other one I think has around 32k

Quick Reply: First Bike! 1988 Cbr600 F1 Hurricane Project