CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Engine rebuild or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009 | 01:51 PM
|
Default Engine rebuild or replace?

I just bought a 1989 CBR 600 for $200.00. Heres the catch, the guy ran it out of oil. It does still run, just knocks like crazy. I have the valve cover off and I will need a new head as it wiped out the journal on the no. 1 cyl intake cam side. The PO bought new rods as he thought that was all it needed but I am sure it needs new bearings throughout. My question is will it be worth refreshing this engine and what other damage could I be facing? Next, will an F2 engine fit my bike? I see that there was alot of design changes to the engine, i.e. cam chain location, no mount at the head to the frame, etc, but will it bolt in? I know anything is possible with time and patience but what would be required since I can Buy F2 engines all day long but can only find "parts" engines for the F1. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the great forum that you guys have here.

Micah

Old 01-12-2009 | 03:30 PM
Default RE: Engine rebuild or replace?

keep looking, i found a running engine for the f1 on ebay for $400. it was that or rebuild it at the same cost, i opted for a replacement. i think the f2 will bolt in, but im not sure. i looked at some f3s and was pretty sure it would fit, so one would assume the f2 would too.

Old 01-12-2009 | 04:44 PM

If your lucky enough to find one from a 1990, they had 10 more hp

Old 01-12-2009 | 05:20 PM
|

I did search some more today and have found a couple at a decent price but with shipping they come in at around the $700.00 mark. How hard are these engines to rebuild? (I did get an original Honda service manual with the bike) Since it did not lock up and still runs should I be worried about problems with the tranny or anything? If I do a rebuild are there any secret power increases I can look for? Cams, porting, etc? If someone can tell me for sure that an F2 will fit then I am going that route as there is one available within a two hour drive.

Micah

Old 01-12-2009 | 05:27 PM

I would PM hurricanerider. Although he'll probably just tell you to clean your carbs for your current motor, (JK buddy) he seems to have done the most research on interbike parts compatibility.

Old 01-12-2009 | 05:52 PM

I didnt get a chance to test an F2 motor swap, rebuild the one you've got, or replace with another motor, trust me its easier.

I just finished a ZX1000 motor in 2.5 days of nonstop working, its a lot of work to rebuild the motor, but it CAN be done. mine suffered a similar fate, previous owner ran the thing with nasty ancient oil, and probably an insufficient amount of it at that, and it burned up a crank, complete head assembly(lobes and journals) melted down a rod, broke another rod, and OBLITERATED a set of cases. fortunately, I got this bike with a ton of spares.

Old 01-12-2009 | 06:19 PM
|

So if I rebuild where do you guys suggest for a good supplier of parts? I think rrasco posted a link many moons ago to somewhere but I would have to reread all 71 pages to find it, does anyone remember? I have found normal gasket sets and hard parts but I can't seem to find bearings, pistons, rings, etc. I will probably overbore to 650 or 700cc just because I can but need to find parts.

Micah

Old 01-12-2009 | 06:49 PM

southernhonda.com then click on parts fiche

Old 01-12-2009 | 08:09 PM

I'm not sure if an f2 motor will drop right in, from what I read they sit at a differn't angle. servicehonda is a good site for parts. Also http://www.cbrzone.com/ still has some racing parts like aluminium valves.

Depending on how much damage and wear is in the motor, it might cost a few hundered bucks to rebuild it. Might be just a bit tad more expensive to find a replacement

Old 01-13-2009 | 11:44 AM

only site i can think i would of posted was http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild or replace?